FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help! I don't know which colour to choose...

Author Topic: Help! I don't know which colour to choose...
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all. We've been in our home for just over a year and it needs a new roof in the worst way. We're having it reshingled this summer and now I need to pick a colour for the shingles.

Here's my problem: My house is made of CORAL PINK brick (this isn't my fault - honest!) with grey highlights. The trim (ie. the shutters, doors, etc.) is a cream colour (also not my fault but at least it's not pink). Now what goes with that?

The roof is currently brown and it looks really drab and I don't really like it. Any suggestions?

Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm.. white won't work because of the cream trim -- unless you want to paint the trim too......

How many different colors do shingles come in?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Dark gray?
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
They make a really nice grey that is a mix of various shades of grey. It gives the roof a nice subtle patterned look from a distance, and it sounds like you already have the grey highlights.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
What colors do you have to choose from?

I'd say pick something that looks good with the brick (since the trim is easily changed and the brick isn't). What about the standard dark grey colored shingles? How would it look with the brick?

Oooh I like Karl's idea of a variegated grey.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

Grey is the colour I'm personally leaning toward... but I'm not creative with this sort of thing.

They left a selection sheet with every colour imaginable... "bordeaux" "midnight blue" and "crystal red" were some of the more unique ones. There are various shades of green, brown, grey, red, etc.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

Linky

This shows the standard colours available if you click on available colours.

I like the multi-shade grey idea but the "two tone" grey they list looks awfully light.

[ August 05, 2005, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Miriya ]

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
What about the stone grey or cathedral grey (or possibly the charcoal grey)? They have some tonal variation to them (and the cathedral grey seem to have pinkish tones, which may or may not look good with your brick).

I do agree that their two-tone grey maybe on the light side.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

Thanks for the comments. We decided to go with the two-tone black which gives us the effect of different shades but is dark enough to offset the general "pinkness" of our house. It will be installed in September so we'll have to wait to see the finished effect.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Where do you live? Black will bring in a lot more solar heat -- which might be good in a cool climate, but will be bad if you live in a hot area.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

[ROFL]

Sorry... I'm in Canada. We are actually in a nasty heat wave right now but it's not a going concern for 9 months out of the year. It might even help retain heat in the cool weather.

Thanks for bringing it up though. I wouldn't have thought of that. That explains why I've never seen a white roof before too. [Smile]

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have gone with lime green.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
...I thought that all coral pink homes would be found in Florida. o_O
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LordKaosnix
Member # 8458

- posted      Profile for LordKaosnix           Edit/Delete Post 
Just go with Basic Black,
Everything new fades grey eventually.

Posts: 63 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.