FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sky High...

Author Topic: Sky High...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, the best super-hero film of 2005 is "Batman Begins".

However, "Sky High" just may be the most fun.

I watched it today. It was a blast.

It wasn't the typical Disney teen comedy crud. (at least, not most of it.)

The kids can act. They're likable. Truly funny and sympathetic.

The special effects, while obviously not state of the art are fun and fit the "Silver Age Super-Hero" flavor of the setting.

Ash, Snake, Wonder Woman, and two Kids in the Hall are all used...and not wasted.

And the parts that need to be exciting actually are exciting...even though I figured out the identity of the super-villain pretty much by the character's second onscreen appearence.

This won't be to everyone's taste...it is a teen comedy. And it's a very light-hearted example of super-hero fantasy. But it's a darn fun one.

This is the sort of film I _wish_ "Fantastic Four" was.

In fact, I hope they make a sequel.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
There's been a rash of "superhero school" comedies -- in comic books and film -- lately. I wonder why.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Because Harry Potter, a UK fantasy about a _school_ of kids with special powers is very popular?

And super-hero films have been regularly topping the box office in recent years?

Dur-hey. [Smile]

EDIT: Grammatical error corrected.

[ July 30, 2005, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
Shy High definately had a Horgwarts fell to it. My 11 year old daughter loved it and that's enough for me. Money well spent.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by johnsonweed:
Sky High definately had a Horgwarts fell to it. My 11 year old daughter loved it and that's enough for me. Money well spent.

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I loved the take on "Super-Hero" team sports.

"Save the Citizen". Hee.

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely want to see this movie.

Also, for a related but more adult story, I recommend the comic book Top 10 by Alan Moore. It's about the police department in a city where everyone is a superhero. Sure the cops have superpowers, but so does everyone from the street gangs to the lawyers to the guy at the hotdog stand. Very cool book.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hunh. I had a chance to watch it for free this weekend, but passed it up. Perhaps I should have considered it.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Who was Ash and Snake?

I loved the movie.. of course I'm a sucker when it comes to super hero comedies.

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Ash is the hero of Evil Dead/Army of Darkness, played by Bruce Campbell. "I could have been king. But in my own way, I am a king. Hail to the King, baby."

Snake is Snake Plisken from Escape from NY/LA, played by Kurt Russell. "You going to kill me, Snake?" "Not now, I'm too tired. [pause] Maybe later."

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Snake! I heard you were dead!
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I am.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.