FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Further proof of insanity

Author Topic: Further proof of insanity
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Couple arrested for kissing their kid

Picture this:

Happy family, new baby. Mom taking pictures, Dad changing the infant. Dad gives his son a kiss on the belly, Mom takes a photo.

Parents drop in photos to local printshop.

Parents subsequently arrested for child abuse.

Cool, no?

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Now that's plain stupid... o_O
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
How horrible! They lost those few precious months of having a newborn! Real bonding time! It just makes me sick.

I hate photo development places. Nosy busybodies is what they are. And the police are stupid.

This couple deserves a large cash settlement--and even that won't correct the wrongs done to them. 6 months in jail... THAT is criminal.

-Katarain

Edit: THOSE police are stupid. Not ALL police.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
They lost a year with their children over this? [Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
6 months in prison... charged with Child Molestation... that must have been hell... inmates are not kind to those charged.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Makes me wonder what the photo looked like. It's a 2D image, so depending upon how it was shot, it *could* have looked really bad. There must be more to this story than what was in that article.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Yeap, otherwise it sounds kind of incredible... I mean, really, who would convict someone for a picture like that?!
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Corwin, no one was convicted.

Nonetheless, it is horrifying and saddening. [Frown]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Ok... I'm really not familiar with how the legal system works. But then how can they keep him in jail for 6 whole month?! I mean, he was charged, but does that mean he is to be kept in jail during the trial? Or was it because of the nature of the charges?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he didn't have the money to make bail.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes society gets too busybody with people sometimes...
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I've worked in film & photo development before. I just want to say that this sort of thing is not because of "nosy busybodies" - there were rules for mandatory reporting of pictures depicting sexual contact with underage children.

Jeniwren already pointed out the key issue here, we don't know what the picture looked like. If you could tell in the print that he was kissing the baby's tummy, I doubt anyone would have thought twice about printing it. If it was from a different angle and it looked like the man's mouth was between the baby's legs, I definitely would have reported that, and I think most people here would too.

I agree its sad that this resulted in jail time and 6 months separated from their child. But if this had been a case where there was child molestation going on and being photographed, people would be bemoaning "Why didn't anyone SAY anything? How could they print those awful pictures without calling child services?"

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Use digital. Print on your own pc. Problem solved.

Yes, this is really sad.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Yet another reason to go digital.

[edit: Ack! too slow!]

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.