FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fonts for Fiction

Author Topic: Fonts for Fiction
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody else find that the font and layout of a book affects their feelings about it?

As in, when a book is written in big letters in a big hardcover book with lots of empty space on the page, it feels different in tone than a little paperback book where the words are packed in close, and there's not so much blank space?

I think for me, the denser the words on the page are, the "denser" the book feels. The wider spaced the words are, the "looser" the feeling I get from the book. I've had different impressions of the same book based simply on whether I read it in paperback or hardcover.

I know it's not just my imagination--obviously, the word "SUNSHINE!" would have a dramatically different feel if it were written in two-feet tall letters of dripping blood across a brick wall--but I wonder if it has the same effect on other people it has on me.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as it is legible, I don't feel a huge difference. I recall more the sound of the words in my head than the look of them on the page, though.

And I thought this was an offer to swap. I'd gladly give you my Monotype Corsica for a copy of Magic Street.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
You can have my comic sans for any OSC work.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
And I thought this was an offer to swap. I'd gladly give you my Monotype Corsica for a copy of Magic Street.

Which is set, it says, in Monotype Dante. Which I rather like, upon inspection. But I certainly wouldn't have noticed what font had been used if it weren't pointed out.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I certainly wouldn't have noticed what font had been used if it weren't pointed out.
Ahem... typeface. Carry on.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Call me that to my . . . um . . .

Nevermind.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
True enough, Annie. [Smile]

But remember, I don't hate Comic Sans. Clearly, I don't know nothin' 'bout printing. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite English font for elaborate Script is Vivaldi, for normal writing Garamond and for Blocked Quotations I'd choose Monotipe Corsiva.

In Hebrew? Guttman Hodes, but not as plain text (unless in a prayer-book or something). Biblical writings in Koren's font (some super-duper version of Guttman Keren).

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does anybody else find that the font and layout of a book affects their feelings about it?
Oh, definetely. The letters totally change the way I imagine the situation. Different colors come to mind. Small dense writing reminds of of red, or very dark grey. If the font is big and "happy" (like Comic Sans MS) I think of purple and yellow.
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

My "book" is set in futura. It lends a definite funk, most likely because sans serifs are so rare for body text. But I like feeling funky, so I tend to ignore the preferences of my millions of readers.

(by "millions," I mean eight)

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Comic Sans MS. I write all my AIM messages and work Email in it.

It's a happy and fun font.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Where do I download all this fonts from, though?
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
And makes graphic designers want to throttle people.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

JH - my favorite free font site is fontfreak.com
Annie
Member # 295

Ban Comic Sans!

Also, the Galactiqueros' take on the subject.

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Merci.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
I love Comic Sans MS. I write all my AIM messages and work Email in it.

It's a happy and fun font.

No, you've just bought into the Microsoft lie. [Cry]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
All you snobs with your noses in the air are gonna drown if it rains =P
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Yeah, just like us snobs who prefer most professionally done oil on canvas over finger paintings.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
There's only one letter differece between snob and snog.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Coincidentally, there's also only a one letter difference between snob and snow. Or snob and snot.

Woohoo!

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to write in all different fonts, but now I write all fiction and plays in Times New Roman (12 pt.) and all screen stuff in Courier New (10 pt.) Non fiction information is in Trebuchet (10 pt.).

It just feels right to me...like it's reduction to the basics- almost as if the words themselves aren't there at all, only the information they convey.

EDIT: Or Snob and Slob and Snub. (Say that three times fast!)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
All you snobs with your noses in the air are gonna drown if it rains =P

Well, at least all you unwashed masses will finally get a bath.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Wait, who wants to snog a snob? *perks up*
fugu13
Member # 2859

Is that an offer, Annie [Razz] ?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.