FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is anyone here from/in Upstate NY?

Author Topic: Is anyone here from/in Upstate NY?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
No one is that I recall, but I wondered . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Tick is in Buffalo. And Sarah moved to Buffalo in March.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

<-- geographically impaired

Uh . . . I think that's farther upstate than I had in mind. I'm talking about between NYC and the Catskills.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I was just in Albany, but not any more.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I was born in Syracuse, and lived around there for the first 21 years of my life [Smile] .

Its not your fault rivka, "upstate" is sort of a NY term. It refers to any part of the state that isn't part of New York City.

Niki was confused, thinking it meant I lived way up north where the Adirondacks are.

My Dad went to college at Hudson Valley Community College. I don't know much about the region you are talking about though.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I was just in Albany, but not any more.
*finds map*

That's still too far north, anyway, right? Aren't the Catskills where Monticello and Kingston are on that map?

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Its not your fault rivka, "upstate" is sort of a NY term. It refers to any part of the state that isn't part of New York City.
I knew that, I think. I just forgot the weird way NY State is shaped, and that the Catskills area is that close (relatively) to the city.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*raises eyebrow*

I was born in Johnson City/Binghamton/Endicott area.

Jexx is still at West Point.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I guess West Point is the right area.

In any case, there are a lot of observant Jews stranded in that area right about now. In the summer, lots of people drive up from the city to the mountains for Shabbos.

A fatal accident [Cry] completely jammed up the primary route; and the secondary ones were not moving much either. And Shabbos started about an hour ago . . .

Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to figure out what you're getting at, about Shabbos, Rivka. Fascinated, actually. Are you saying they'd refuse to keep driving? That wouldn't be possible in such a mess. It'd be illegal to refuse to drive and further mess up the traffic, right? They can't pay for a hotel room or food on Shabbos. Can't pay for a towtruck. Seems like the lesser of evils would be just to drive home as quick as possible once they get through the jam. What are they supposed to do at a time like this?
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Assuming they couldn't get somewhere else (local motel, maybe? Monsey, NY if they were really lucky) . . .

Pull off the road. Walk. I assume there are a lot of people walking in the area right now.

Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Walk... where? They can't pay for anything, right?
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Depends where they are, I guess. As I said, Monsey would be the best place in the area to get to. And the community there is used to getting people who get stuck going from the city to the mountains -- it happens to individuals on a fairly regular basis.

If they have food with them, then camping out near the car (in it, if they can disable the lights) could work too.

This is kind of why I was trying to figure out if there was anyone in the area.

mackillian
Member # 586

[Frown] what will they do?
rivka
Member # 4859

Probably different things. For those that have food with them, it shouldn't be a huge deal. Just an unplanned campout. [Wink] *checks weather* Oy. Well, I guess they'll be camping out IN their cars -- it's supposed to rain.

And actually, if the car doors stay open, you wouldn't even have to disable the lights.

Those who were able to probably turned back. Probably a lot of people made it to Monsey, which has a sizable Orthodox community, or New Square which does also. If they did, they'll be put up and fed -- no worries.

I'll have to call my Monsey cousins after Shabbos and ask them if they hosted any unexpected guests. [Wink]

(Most of the people traveling would have be married men traveling alone, who work in the city and were joining their families for Shabbos. But there were presumably some families too.)

mackillian
Member # 586

jeez [Frown]
rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah.

Of course, the families who buried a son, a son and daughter-in-law, and a daughter and son-in-law this afternoon certainly have it worse. [Frown]

jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

I was on my way to my boss' house for meatballs and pasta some time later than the accident (6 pm), and the traffic was still backed up. We drove through Blooming Grove to get to Warwick, but we were on the 94 (the alternate route from the 17). I knew there had been an accident, but didn't know where/who.

[Frown]

Very sad.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I live sorta near there when I'm in NJ.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I hope rivka checks this thread after Shabbos, 'cause I wanted to know about the fast burial of the dead.
mackillian
Member # 586

Nevermind, found something.
quote:
Jews bury their dead quickly because of the Biblical injunction in Deuteronomy 21:23 "not to let the body remain all night." It is considered disrespectful to let the body linger. A speedy burial is also a gift to the onen. It is difficult to be in a transitional status, no longer a son in the same way, but still not officially an orphan; without a husband, but not yet a widow. For the sake of both the dead and the living, we seek the closure and finality of putting the body to rest.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.