FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Article on Supreme Court vacancy

Author Topic: Article on Supreme Court vacancy
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
NY Times article on who Bush should pick

This article makes a great argument for Michael McConnell, or someone like him, to fill the vacancy in the U.S. Supreme Court. McConnell is my choice anyway, but I liked the point of the article in general.

Basically, it argues that the primary qualification that Pres. Bush should be looking for isn't acceptability to the Democrats, or even to the Republicans. It isn't race, gender, or even necessarily the nominee's record as a judge.

Instead, the article urges the selection of someone who is really intelligent, and who can make a cogent, persuasive, and forceful legal argument. Such an individual could shape the law in great and lasting ways.

I agree with this assessment. As I said, I would like to see McConnell get the nod. But anyone else who has similar qualifications would be great.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Roberts from the DC circuit fits the bill. So do Easterbrook, Posner, and Wilkinson, although all are probably too old for Bush's liking.

But I like McConnell. A lot. [Smile]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Janice Rogers Brown is who I'm hoping for
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Brown would be interesting, I have to admit, however she's probably too conservative for most of the Republicans around today.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't prefer Brown, even though I know she would rule the way I want on the legal issue I care the most about.

I want a justice who will not only decide correctly but support her decisions with well-reasoned arguments. I don't get that from Brown too much, although to be fair I've only read her opinions that people complained about.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.