FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pepper's Back Home

Author Topic: Pepper's Back Home
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*happy wheeze*

She needed to be an only child kitty - and I decided she'd just have to stay with Nathan and me.

We really missed her - a whole very lotsa muchly lots.

*Schedules extra grooming appointments and begins hunting for top-o-the-line hepa filter vacuums*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, if it helps at all, you could try out the air filters at http://www.austinair.com/ . They're really good and super effective.

Welcome home, Pepper!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very happy for you, Shan! [Smile]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you.
There are quite a few things a person can do about animal alergies.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Awwww, yay! That's wonderful. I'm so happy to hear it. [Smile]

My friend Sahar's dad is/was allergic to cats...

...at the moment they have three, and they all sleep in his bed.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
How long have you had Pepper? I'm allergic to cats, and had lots of allergy problems when I first got Raina. It took about a year or so, but I finally got acclimated to her and now she doesn't bother me at all. [Smile] Taking Claritan daily helps, as does the hepa filter (though right now I'm not running that, as I'm favoring my dehumidifier).
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Pepper joined our family three years ago. Within the first week, I had allergy reactions such as the itchy eyes and nose. Dealable. I also started having tight lungs. Not so dealable. Started needing some inhalant help if I had a bronchial cold, or heading on day hikes. When I'd leave to go on business, it'd get better.

I have run air purifiers with HEPA filters, vacuum like a fiend, groom her (and have her professionally groomed) - all worth it, because she's a love.

I had double pnuemonia in May, and the recovery has been painfully slow. I am still on two different inhalants, and am not up to speed yet. (I.e., no hiking on real hiking trails up Mt. Rainier or the Olympics, no going up several flights of stairs - one flight slowly with some stops is hard enough.)

The week Pepper was gone while I aired out the house and washed all the bedding and linens, and dusted and vacuumed like a neat-freak (and cried forlornly from missing her), my lungs actually improved enough to allow me to walk and talk at the same time, and to increase flat walking from 1 mile to 2 miles.

So - I will keep her out of the bedroom. Make vacuuming a three times a week deal. And have added several of those "hair and dander collection pads" in all her favorite resting places (which means she now has other favorite resting places *grin*) and really be proactive about daily grooming and monthly professional grooming visits.

And pray that my lungs continue to heal, and continue to look for other ways to be healthy and still have Pepper.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.