FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » US in talks with Iraqi insurgents

Author Topic: US in talks with Iraqi insurgents
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Washington Post

Overall, I think this is a good thing. The idea is to get the Sunnis involved in the political process and make things more difficult for the foreign insurgent forces through diplomacy.

Ah, diplomacy. I seem to recall it. I know we left it around here somewhere.

But sometimes you just have to read all the way to the end to get the best stuff:

quote:
Rumsfeld acknowledged that there is no military solution to ending the insurgency and that the talks with Iraqi insurgents were part of a search for a political solution to the war. "I mean, foreign troops are not going to beat the insurgency," he said. "It's going to be the Iraqi people that are going to beat the insurgency and Iraqi security forces. That's just the nature of an insurgency."

He also pointed out, on Fox News, that "insurgencies tend to go on five, six, eight, 10, 12 years."

Another gem. Shall we start the backpedal countdown now or give it a day or so?

"No, no! Of course our military can beat the insurgents. We simply prefer that the Iraqis do it themselves. Through a political process. No-one anticipates that we will still be fighting the insurgents 12 years from now."

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Stuff like this is why I only grudgingly voted for Bush twice. Very grudgingly.

Also so I could reserve the right to bitch [Smile]

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I love that quote. In the paper today it said Rumsfeld was quoted as saying something like "American troops won't end the insurgency, it'll take another fifteen years. But they will lose, because they are fighting a legitimately elected government."

Since when has legitimacy ever been a magic force field that protects governments?

Just when you think it can't get any worse....

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...must be more of that "God is on our side" stuff.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Since when has legitimacy ever been a magic force field that protects governments?
It can help, because causes the insurgency to loose legitimacy. If the majority of citizens turned against the insurgents and fought them, they would fail. It is why the KKK was able to kill quite a few people...and get away with it 50 years ago, but now in most areas they can't get away with more than parading around in bedsheets.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but the point is, if the average citizen in Iraq isn't rising up against the insurgents while they are under the protection of US troops (the relative protection anyway), how are they going to do anything when a quarter of a million friendly troops leave the country?

It's a nation that is used to being abused. Legitimacy is nice, and it can help, but mostly for the international arena. At home, what matters is who has the power, and if they can use it without worrying about outside help. Once America leaves, they have few worries, and even have more help, as Iran and Syria are right there.

The hope of the citizens turning on the insurgents is about the same fantasy that made us believe they'd greet us with flowers in the streets.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.