FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Science Vs. Religion - dinosaur style

Author Topic: Science Vs. Religion - dinosaur style
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
So I was thinking of this and I finally decided to go looking for them. Enjoy.

The Saga begins.

An opening salvo.

Choose your own adventure...err, meaning of life.

The endless struggle...resolved?

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the qwantz dinosaurs, especially this.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to have to tell you this, but those comics suck. They suck every different way one may view them;
comedy...suck
irony...suck
sarcasm...suck
originality...suck
to start a conversation...suck

Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Oh my! You mean all this time we've been laughing at something which actually sucks and hadn't realized it? Thank goodness humor is not at all subjective and there was somebody brave enough to let us know they sucked, or else I may have continued enjoying something!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, well, I like to do a bit of public service every now and then. I am currently capaigning for responsible humor. The essence of this camapign is an attempt to get people to laugh at things which are funny rather than things which are not, in fact, funny.
Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the first one was rather funny. The rest, not so much. The term "straw dinosaur" comes to mind.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the final link has a line in it that illustrates the author's understanding the neither science or religion has all the answers. And for what it's worth I did get a chuckle out of the blank ballon with an invitation for kids to play along by supplying whatever teachings they are familiar with.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

You know, thinking about it, if you're not familiar with the comic, it does look like a straw dinosaur argument. An underlying motif of the comic is that the T-Rex often starts off the comic with a (often poorly realized) philosophical statement that the Utahraptor demolishes. I didn't take the refutation as meant to be serious, but I could see how people would.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Qwantz.com is GENIUS. If you don't find it funny, you're deficient in some way. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
That's rude and uncalled for, Tom, graemlin or not.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

quote:
That's rude and uncalled for, Tom, graemlin or not.
I think Tom was trying to be funny. Now I have to go and involve him in my campaign for responsible humor.
quote:
Qwantz.com is GENIUS. If you don't find it funny, you're deficient in some way.
Well, I am deficient in many ways, but fortunately neither humor, intelligence nor humility are my deficiencies.

See, when I read a comic I want the characters to either be clever or dumb, based on what type of humor is involved. This particular set of comics Squick posted can't seem to decide whether it wants to be snide or politically correct, neither of which is funny.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
An underlying motif of the comic is that the T-Rex often starts off the comic with a (often poorly realized) philosophical statement that the Utahraptor demolishes.
Calvin and Hobbes does it much better.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the same sort of comment KoM often makes, assumingly trying to be funny. But since generally Tom shows far more compassion and understanding for those who think/believe differently from him, we are more likely to take such an out-of-character comment as humorous than from KoM who never shows compassion or understanding for those who think/believe differently from him.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
<Started typing response after beverly's comment at reply #12.>

Yes, generally Tom does that. But Tom also occasionally makes blanket statements about things and seems to be quite serious. Opinions about humor is one of those things. Opinions about specific books, movies, or video games are others. Tom also has a tendency to bottom-line arguments: "The thing is this." And that thing isn't necessarily the thing where others are concerned, but he appears to expect it to be seen as such.

Tom responded to an OSC comment on the other side a couple weeks ago or so that he was now unable to tell when OSC was being humorous rather than serious in his columns, and would need to go back and re-read the columns in such a new light. I don't have time to do that for 20,000 posts of his. *smile*

I realize that we broke Tom of the "j/k [Wink] " thing, and I'd hate for him to go back to it. I just don't think this particular comment of his was funny at all. (Since it's possible Tom has responded to this thread again in the time I took to type this, I apologize for referring to him in third person only.)

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but he was trying too hard for it to truly amuse me.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

"Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Nobody is all that interested, and the frog ends up dead."
--No idea who to attribute that one to.

I think Tom was making the same point I was: There is no absolute right and wrong when it comes to humor. Just because one person does or does not find something funny doesn't mean it is or is not funny to others. Examples abound.

Now, in my opinion, I find J.S. and his "public service" to be unfunny, pompous, and rude. From this I postulate that J.S. is a big dummy poo-poo head, although this is of course still in the theoretical stages, pending further evidence.

--Enigmatic

Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

quote:
Now, in my opinion, I find J.S. and his "public service" to be unfunny, pompous, and rude. From this I postulate that J.S. is a big dummy poo-poo head, although this is of course still in the theoretical stages, pending further evidence.
See, once again you demonstrate your inability to understand correct humor.

My public service comment was funny because it gently mocks you for taking my previous post too seriously. Your response to me by calling me pompous is funny because I really am pompous. My response to you is funny because it makes it seem that even though I laugh at you for taking my post too seriously, I am taking your post too seriously in exactly the same way. And my recognition of that fact in the very same post is also funny because it shows that I am not really taking your post all that seriously and I publicly recognize that fact. But then, my recognizing my recognition of that fact makes this post not only confusing but ironi, because by recognizing that I am purposely trying not to take your post seriously invokes the suspicion that, yes, I really am taking your post too seriously.

So which is it to be, seriously or not?

Wow. I would make a good psychoanalyst, eh Squick?

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

err...What?
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

quote:
err...What?
just a little non-sequitur, Squick.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I am deeply, deeply disappointed in all of you.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

quote:
I am deeply, deeply disappointed in all of you.
In the words of Squicky:

err...What?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Yes. Exactly.
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Mary Cate is Amused.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

quote:
Yes. Exactly.
I was about to post this very same comment to Squicky, then I decided that it was far too condescending.

And now we see Mr. Tom Davidson, the unrivaled master of the backhanded insult, descend to the level of mere condescension?

I am deeply, deeply disappointed.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

No, see, it's funny when I do it.

I'm pretty sure it's all in the wrist.

Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

I will be the arbiter of what is funny and what is not, thank you very much.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.