FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Howard Dean on the Daily Show

Author Topic: Howard Dean on the Daily Show
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Best interview I've ever seen on that show.

If someone doesn't beat me to it I'll post the link to the interview tomorrow, though you are all free to go to www.comedycentral.com yourself and find it tomorrow.

Dean was great, and less vague than I expected him to be. Jon did a great job of forcing to get specific, though Dean evaded, he still gave some real details on what the Democrats want to do.

Better than that was Dean on Republicans. He didn't just throw out vague insults, he did what he said he would do, called them on their crap. For example (paraphrasing) 'They say they are the party of moral values, but they don't help the poor. There's 3,000 references to the poor in the Bible, and not one to gay marriage, yet they can't get off the idea.'

I don't know about the validity of the 3,000 number, but I still like what he is doing. I also liked Jon's idea, that for every idea and plan the Republicans put out, the next day you counter it with what the Democrats would do. Treat it as if there were a shadow Democratic government. Don't just fight the Republican agenda, make the Repubs deal with the DEMOCRATIC agenda. Even if I weren't a Democrat I'd love this idea, it gets us back into what makes a two party system great, as opposed to what we've had recently.

It was also nice in general to see a host actually trying to corral his guest into answering questions, instead of just giving him a chance to say whatever he wants (though Dean tried to anyway).

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
the Daily Show...

"yuck yuck"

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion...in some ways, the Daily Show, as a 'joke' news show, is better at what it does than many so called 'real politics' shows. Possibly because Jon Stewart doesn't back down and let people get away with crap--on either side.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. I've been losing interest in the Daily Show's interviews for some time, as Jon has in recent months been more the "fawning" interviewer type than the incisive tough-questions guy he was during the election, but this interview was great! He got some excellent responses from Dean without being a shill, forcing Dean to return to the point every time he tried to evade a question. And Dean himself was very good as well- he showed off why he was considered the most charismatic of the 2004 Dem candidates (Sharpton aside).
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
You see, I like the show for the fake news. I turn back to The Tick, now that it is on, once the interview happens, unless it is someone really important, like a musician. (The Al Greene interview was, uh, wuite something)

Stephen Colbert is leaving! I am devastated.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually thought Dean was evasive the whole time. Jon asked him for a specific plan on Iraq, and he insulted republicans. Jon asked for a specific plan on anything, and he said help the poor. He refused, as all politicians do, to say anything specific.

I also found it funny when Dean said that the political climate in this country is too divided, and that we need to "love our neighbors". I agree, the climate is too divided, we do need to love our neighbors. But when you go from that to insulting all republicans, or when the week before you said that all republicans look alike and act alike, i consider you part of the problem and not the solution.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen Colbert can't carry his own show. He's too repulsive a character. Audiences can handle him as a sideshow supporting the charismatic Jon Stewart ... but a full half-hour of Colbert? No thanks.

Dean said he was "working on" a specific plan. What, do you expect him to suddenly lay it out, fully formed, just because Jon Stewart asked him to? It sounded like he was saying what he could. To me, anyway.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't expect him to lay it out for Jon Stewart. I don't expect him to lay it out for anyone. Politicians don't lay out specifics unless they are forced to, and since Dean isn't running for anything, he won't be forced to. I was merely responding to those in this thread who were praising him for specifics I didn't think he conveyed.

You are right about Colbert, but that is a recurring problem with comedy central. They give half hour shows to people who have no hope of pulling them off successfully. Have you looked at the line-up of idiotic programming they have coming out soon? The creative directors over there need to be replaced, and the sooner the better.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
The guys from Stella are funny onstage. They have made a terrible TV show.
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Have you seen the show? It doesn't air until next Tuesday, I thought.

Too much of any one comedian drives me nuts, which is why I like the different fake correspondents on the Daily Show.

My favorite episode ever was Rob Corddry doing a spoof on Deadheads "on tour." He was following the "Jobs and Growth" bus around the country.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
You had to like the Pizza Guy part! Lol that was sooo funny.

I liked the last episode where Samantha Bee did the story on bullies. "In America our children sure are pu$$ies."

Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Well the thing is, 90% of it isn't really 'fake' news. It's mock news. They take real news stories and mock them, and those that really pay attention will see their commentary in the mockery. Most of the time, Jon's analysis is pretty dead on too. But I too have lately skipped many of the interviews. Maybe he's going back on the offensive.

Interview Page

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

You are right, Lyrhawn. It is like news coated in candy.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.