FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: 25 years of wakka wakka wakking

Author Topic: New column: 25 years of wakka wakka wakking
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
25 years of wakka wakka wakking

You put in a quarter. You hear this cheesy song. And suddenly you're a starving yellow creature, caught in a mad dash to devour all the little white dots you can catch before the hordes of floating undead bring you down. And it's not an M. Night Shyamalan movie. Well, not yet, anyway.

The classic video game Pac-Man turns 25 this month, which, in video game time, makes him about 6,000 years old. He was a simple man, from a simpler era. He didn't shoot anybody, jack any cars or beat his opponents senseless. Pac-Man even married, had a kid, and became a superhero, which is more than the Doom guy ever did.

It's hard to understand the addictive properties of Pac-Man if you've never tried it, assuming that's possible. To the casual observer it looks like a childishly simple game where you beat a maze while avoiding, for some reason, ghosts. Then before you know it eight months have passed and you're desperately fighting to get to the next level before you pass out from all the plasma you've been selling for quarters.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It encouraged healthy diets. How many video games reward you for eating fruit?
[ROFL]

I just learned a lot more about Pac-Man than I ever knew during the years playing it!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw the subject line, I thought that Fozzie Bear must have turned 25 today.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Same here.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, there are already multiple 3D Pac-Man games [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it would be about the Muppets as well.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Originally I had "wokka wokka" but I went with the AP style after I saw their article [Smile]
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.