FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I need to make a font or two

Author Topic: I need to make a font or two
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone recommend a font creation tool? Preferably a free one?

(it's for a story...)

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you a good idea of how long it takes to create a typeface?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Its quite hard to create good looking fonts, and most likely there exists a font like you want the font to look, provided you aren't inventing new characters.

If you are inventing new characters, better to draw out the sequences of text you want by hand and scan/photograph those.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Not free, but $9 - not bad
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/

Always check sourceforge first [Smile] .

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Bah, it's *nix only. That's what I get for not reading my links first.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd recommend hand-drawing it. It'll save a lot of time and it will look better.

That's how they do titles to movies, you know - there's this really amazing Asian lady living in Seattle who draws the titles to something like 40% of Hollywood's output, including The Matrix and Lord of the Rings. That way, they're guaranteed a unique look and the title has a cohesive art quality to it that you just can't get with typography. Of course, as soon as the posters and promos are released, there are 50 knock-off free fonts available for download.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I could also use a free font creator tool.

I looked two summers ago but had no luck with anything I downloaded.

I gave up quickly, but I still would like to create a font of my handwriting, just for fun.

I still have the .bmp of my letters and numbers, punctuation, etc.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. I will be creating brand new characters and I will be using it often enough that it makes sense to create a font rather than just drawing the characters.

Of course, I've never made a font before so it might be cripplingly difficult. I guess I'll find out. There are only 25 letters anyway.

Honestly I think the grammar, vocabulary and idiom will be more daunting =|

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.