FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help me remember the name of a toy--Got it! Omagles!

Author Topic: Help me remember the name of a toy--Got it! Omagles!
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, a set, technically. As kids, my brother and I had a set of plastic tubes and plastic plates out of which it was possible to build good-sized structures, including vehicles that one of us could push. I cannot, for the life of me, remember what these were called. I seem to recall the tubes and connectors being PVC-ish in nature, and the plastic plates (used to form walls, floors, and ceilings) were a very bright orange. Everything snapped together, so I know it was a commercial set and not something my parents built.

Help! [Smile]

[ June 17, 2005, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Megan ]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I can picture exactly what you mean, Megan. But for the life of me I can't remember what they were called. I'll see if I can find it anywhere.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

ah.. I was thinking of K'Nex which is NOT what I think you are thinking of.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Thanks, FG! [Smile] I've been poking around the ToysRUs website, with no luck so far. Now, I'm searching through Ebay.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

ah HA!

They're called "Omagles."
http://www.omagles.com/

I knew I wasn't completely crazy. [Big Grin]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, I figured if it is a older toy they don't make any more -- Ebay would be the place to find it!
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Wow! Those look like FUN!
Megan
Member # 5290

They were AWESOME. My brother and I used to play with them constantly. [Smile]
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar but people-sized construction toy called Quadro. Although the stuff today seems to be smaller that the stuff I had, which was bigger and all red with black joints. Perhaps the plastics are better nowadays so the bars don't have to be as large. My parents bought it for me to stop me from climbing on the furniture.

You could make everything- houses, slides, rafts, carts [Smile] .

We still have it [Smile] . It presently takes the shape of a house.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Teshi...that's neat! [Smile] I wish we still had ours. It looks very similar; Omagles appear to be a Belgian product, while from their website, it looks like the company that makes Quadro might be based in Atlanta. (They also look a bit more versatile, but the idea seems to be the same). Neat!
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I remeber those! They were indeed awesome. I'm going to get some for the baby.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
My kids have something very similar. Their grandfather got PVC pipe, sawed it into a few different lengths, added a bunch of connectors . . . and voilĂ !

It's one of their favorite toys. [Smile] I think he estimated total cost at less than $20. No "plate" pieces, though.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.