FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sleeping Under the Stars: A Night of Shakespeare Where Someone is Eaten by a Bear

Author Topic: Sleeping Under the Stars: A Night of Shakespeare Where Someone is Eaten by a Bear
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot how wonderful it was to sleep outside on a Texas summer night. Sadly, I rediscovered this joy during the play last night.

Dallas has Shakespeare in the Park every summer, and my ward went to see A Winter's Tale. I didn't know much about the play before last night, and I was about thirty minutes late in arriving, but I suspect even that wouldn't have helped. My favorite part was when a character was eaten by a bear. The plot would not have been out of place on a soap opera; I'm pretty sure it was co-opted by Alias for last season.

However, the dialogue and individual scenes were incredible. The basic story is that a king suspects his queen of having an affair with his best friend. The king orders the best friend killed, and his wife’s child abandoned as a bastard. The innocent best friend escapes, the child is adopted by a shepherd and a clown, and the queen dies of whatever killed Hero in Much Ado About Nothing. There is a prophesy from the oracle at Delphi (now we know why this takes place in the ancient world) that the king will not have an heir until the child is found. At that moment, a servant comes to proclaim his son and original heir dead. Curtain falls.

Sixteen childless and lonely years later...and this is where I fell asleep. I only got a few hours of sleep the night before, and I think the servant being eaten by a bear was too much for me. I’m pretty sure it all worked out happily with a father and child reunion and the queen coming out of a sixteen-year coma. Honestly, plot-wise, not one of Will’s best efforts.

However.

I LOVED the depiction of jealousy. The scene where the king feels the jealousy tearing him inside was heartbreaking, and it reminded of that opera (Pagliacci, I think). His speech to queen, questioning her loyalty along with professing his love was very real. The plot was ridiculous, but words still held heartbreak and betrayal and love. Fabulous.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember going to Shakespeare in the Park in Texas. Good times. [Smile]

And we are hoping we don't get eaten by bears in Yellowstone next week.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
They used to do Shakespeare in the Park at Descanso Gardens where I grew up. Beautiful, and free for young people who signed up to usher. (It's a dressy kind of thing out there, don't know how it is here.)

Huh.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It's casual here, and it's $7 on the weekends, but free during the week. [Smile] I can't wait for Richard III which starts next week, I think - KQ, do y'all want to go? Maybe in a couple of weeks?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
My english class went and saw measure for measure at the Shakespear theater in Chicago and I had never heard of that one before and geez I didn't know shakespear wrote stuff that was what could be considered..whats the word? Raunchy maybe? Anyway I enjoyed it.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.