FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Summer classes started today...

Author Topic: Summer classes started today...
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
...and I had two whole students (out of the four I was supposed to have).

I should explain that a) I'm teaching an upper level aural skills class for the first time, and b) I'm not a very good pianist. I tend to mess up when playing in front of people, mostly because I was MUCH worse than I am now for so long. I didn't mess up TOO badly this morning, just the occasional misstep. This wouldn't be so bad, of course, if it weren't during a dictation when the students are supposed to be writing down what I'm playing.

*sigh*

I need good piano-playing vibes.

And tell my other two miscreant students to come to class on Monday! Geez!

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of a class would start on a Friday!!????

Yeah - I'm betting your other two show up next week.

*sends good vibes for Megan's piano playing*

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Thanks, FG! [Smile]

IU would start classes on a Friday, to make up for the missing day that would be July 4 (in order to make the semester EXACTLY 8 weeks). They're crazy, and this, regrettably, is not the first evidence I have seen of it. [Big Grin]

Still, their name on my Ph.D. is gonna get me a job, so I guess I shouldn't complain (much). [Wink]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss school. *sigh*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Kat, you can have mine, if you like; I'm currently studying for qualifying exams. Have fun!

*runs out the door, leaving Kat chained to the computer terminal for the summer*

edited to add: cf.: http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=471

And another one: http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=546

[ June 17, 2005, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Megan ]

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, summer classes also ended yesterday -- and those were only like 6 weeks (100 minute classes in some!).

Luckily my class for this session doesn't meet on friday, so I'm good until monday.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

True enough, fugu, but we musicians don't do class in Summer I. [Big Grin] I've never done a Summer I class, and since my coursework is over, I can safely say that I never will (and hurrah for that!).
fugu13
Member # 2859

*pies Megan*
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Hey, none of that! [Big Grin]

We make up for it by requiring our undergrads to take 8000 1-credit hour courses that actually take up 5 hours of class time and significant out of class time every week.

fugu13
Member # 2859

True, very amusingly evil of you.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the middle of my classes, we started at the end of May.

I have to take a test this week coming up on Morte d'Arthur.

Hoo Boy, that's some good fun there.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.