FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Miracle of Concentration:

Author Topic: The Miracle of Concentration:
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I attempted several times to study for math yesterday. Around 9 PM I tried again, could not focus whatsoever, became discouraged, and decided to watch some TV and then try again. I plopped down on my bed at 10ish and grabbed a cup of coffee. Coffee, you see, somehow helps me focus. I drink it, and the complete lack of concentration that is my mind becomes a little more controlable.

Until that point, however, the coffee route had not been so helpful, and I had been unable to study at all for a period of roughly 2 months. Then...I went to the kitchen, and suddenly, I realized that I felt the urge to dance. I danced for 5 minutes, went through some of the moves that I learnt in karate class over the years. It felt so good.

But best of all was the concentration that came to me as a reward for indulging the urge to dance. Afterwards I sat down again, but this time I could read something without my mind slipping away every second. AND OH MY GOD IS THAT A WONDERFUL SENSATION.

I was walking by my room and I thought of a key that I had dropped in the corner. Oh well. I'll get it later.

But this time the key thought stayed in my mind for more than a moment, and I decided why not pick it up now. Then as I picked it up I saw an empty bowl of brownies behind my bed -- again, usually another "do it later" thing. This time, however, the idea stayed with me for more than a moment, and I actually cleaned it out immediately.

This appears to be a phenomenon known as concentration and focus. I give it a thumbs up.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
This appears to be a phenomenon known as concentration and focus. I give it a thumbs up.

[ROFL]

I'm glad you found a way to concentrate, it's a wonderful feeling to be able to do things at full capacity, isn't it? [Smile]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I used to jog when I was doing my TEE (final high school exams - worth 50% of your uni entry mark and a *big* deal).

I hate exercise. But I loved the way I could study when I did it.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
coffee (stimulant) and exercise helps you concentrate better...hmmm.... have you by chance been checked for ADD?

Exercise is really great for that for everyone, however. It releases so many wonderful chemicals in the brain. I often run when I'm stressed or angry or whatever, and it always makes me feel better..

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
ADD? I am 100% sure I have it. I fit all the symptoms perfectly. I am going to see a psychiatrist about it on Monday, actually [Smile] .
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Glad you're getting it taken care of!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.