FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » geek alert -- Windows Question

Author Topic: geek alert -- Windows Question
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, in Win XP, the directory c:\Documents and Settings\user_name is usually the path to the directory that contains the desktop, application data, my documents, etc..

Is there any way for me to move that directory onto another drive and have windows still use it the same?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
why?
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you can. I know there's this File and Settings Transfer Wizard thingy, and I assume that it moves all that stuff and makes sure Windows knows it's there. But I've never used it.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Because I keep having to wipe my c:\ drive clean, and I'm sick of haivng to save my personal settings for everything.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, I can understand that. But wouldn't it just be easier to backup your profile directory every-so-often on CD or something, and restore it after you wipe the drive, than to do all the registry changes and such needed to have it redirect somewhere else all the time?

just my 2 cents
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Geez. Here...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=236621

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, you just need to use mount points. I'd bet the common practice is to put Documents and Settings on the other drive.

http://emea.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/41974/41974.html

A comment in this thread mentions someone who did it: http://ask-leo.com/can_i_move_an_installed_application_to_another_drive.html

This specifies how to put it in a different place during installation: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q236621/

You would not be able to it outside of installation.

The reason for this is typically because one wants to keep the system drive fairly "pristine". In *nix its likely done more often than not by experienced users (with a partition if a drive isn't available), because it preserves one partition/disk if the other has problems for some reason.

Another one is that it makes backups extremely easy -- just use a low level copy of the entire disk onto an identical disk, and your user data's all backed up onto a plug and play replacement, meaning zero time restores.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

[Frown] I'm not willing to re-install windows.

Oh well. Thanks for your help anyway.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

fugu always knows the answers... [Razz]
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Did you read my link, porter?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
PC, I suspect the reason FG was asking is because she's in tech support, and has probably learned the hard way that asking why the user wants to accomplish a particular technical task can save everyone a lot of grief.

For example, I once had a user who wanted to move a database file to his desktop because he was tired of using the start menu. I had to pry to find the reason, but I was then able to show him how to use a shortcut instead of moving and relinking a database to a bad place to store it.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

PC -- I skimmed it. It seemd pretty clear that you have to set it up before you install windows.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

PC -- my mistake. It was another page that said that.

I'll try what your link suggests.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Read past that part. It explains how to do it.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Be very careful, MPH.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Dags, I was an IT manager for two seperate companies. I've worked phone support and have worked in the service center for a computer manufacturer. I know what users are like.

However, I also know that porter isn't just an average user. He knows his way around a PC and was just looking for a little help with a really non-standard request.

He also didn't want to reinstall windows. I'm all about that. I think that reinstalling windows is a cop-out for far too many tech support kiddies.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yeah, I get that. I wasn't commenting on your advice, but rather your seeming frustration with someone else deciding to be more cautious.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

How about this Dag - I'll make a Ghost Image of my HD before I try this. That way even if I completely kill it, I can always restore it to how it is now. [Smile]

BTW, I've started using Norton Ghost as my last ditch fall-back instead of re-installing windows. If something breaks and I just can't fix it, I just go back to a point where things *were* working. [Smile]

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

And I approach all things with reckless abandon. [Big Grin]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Ghost = good
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I know.

That reminds me -- I really should acquire a legal version. My unauthorized trial version has *definitely* expired.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's extremely easy to move this, Porter. In fact, I always do it, and I always do it after installation.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to buy that. Gah. I just don't have the $100+.

Edit: But CompUSA has it for $50 w/ rebate...hmmm...

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
Go ye to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx and get TweakUI. That has settings for all of the special directories, which you can modify very easily just by typing (or browsing to) the new path.

I would recommend copying your current "Documents and Settings" directory tree to the new location, and then simply iterating through the special directories using TweakUI. Should be easy and problem-free.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.