FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wedding March by Queen

Author Topic: Wedding March by Queen
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have the Flash Gordon soundtrack or know if Queen has the wedding march from it on another album? Is the wedding march on the soundtrack?

My sister wants to go down the aisle to it, and we need to know if it's long enough and uninterrupted by dialog. Does it have suitable brides-maid marching prelude music?

We don't want to buy it if it won't work.

Thanks!

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
That. Is. Awesome.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I have Flash on cassette. Let me finish reading threads and then I'll go dig it out and post.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oh, thanks, that would be much appreciated, Goody.

Narnia, my sister is very cool, isn't she?

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
It has been way too long since I listened to this tape... Thanks for getting me to dig it out, Dags!

Because it's cassette, it's potentially questionable where The Wedding March ends and where Marriage of Dale and Ming begins, but the part that's obviously and recognizably the traditional wedding march with guitar is all instrumental with no dialogue. There's a bit of discussion between two men, and then the attempted exchange of vows, which is obviously the Marriage track.

If you're not able to find the track you need, I'd be willing to send you my cassette (or find someone with a double deck that can dub a copy of it) for your sister's use. Since my family's gone almost exclusively digital, I'm not sure who to go to for a dub.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag and BunBun,

Flying or driving to the wedding?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Is the part before the discussion a good length of time as far as walking down the aisle, Goody?

Liz, we're flying, and we're only staying for the weeekend, so we probably won't be able to stop by. [Frown]

bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
Where do you live, Liz?
Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Rats.
I live near Northampton, MA. If you were driving, you could have come this way.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

I'll have to listen again (and I couldn't even begin to guess the last time I saw the movie to give you an idea of elapsed time there).

The march itself lasts about 3 minutes, the dialogue between the two men on the tape lasts less than 30 seconds and is essentially "you need to get out there". Then a little music, and then the vows.

Guess i better put Flash on my Netflix list...

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Thanks, Goody. I think that's enough info for me to pick up the soundtrack for her. Thanks for digging out the tape, and I hope you enjoy the movie.

"I'm a New York City girl. This place is a little too quiet for me."

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag you rock!
I love that movie!
And it's music!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
Goody,

Save your time. I rewatched this for the first time in a LONG time and it didn't hold up very well. I saw it 5 times at the theater and loved it...sheesh! All my taste was in my mouth!

Another one I rewatched last week was Clash of the Titans, that held up pretty well.

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Turns out that Netflix doesn't have it [Angst] [Cry] [Confused] but they have the old TV series??? [Dont Know] [Confused]

And Clash lives in my permanent collection... early Harry Hamlin... yummy! [Big Grin]

johnsonweed
Member # 8114

Yummy?? LOL I'd use...hirsute?
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

hey, i liked thick black long hair at the time... i even married one...
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Is it just me, or does Greek mythology seem to run on nepotism?

Be born the son of the ruler of the gods and get lots of cool toys.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

nepotism and adultery... LOL
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Nepotism, adultery, and inbreeding.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Ah yes, can't forget about that part..
Dagonee
Member # 5818

And cross-species breeding.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Now this is beginning to sound like the Make Love the Joseph Campbell Way thread.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Campbell has something about an evil tree, doesn't he?

Check out Evil Dead sometime.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And cross-species breeding.
Mmmmm... you naughty swan you.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

Were the gods a different species?
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I would say so. Immortality, superpowers, and all that.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
No, what determines that something is a different species is that they can interbreed and produce viable offspring.

See, a donkey and a horse can mate, but the resulting mule is sterile, so the donkey and the horse are different species.

Since there was so much interbreeding between the Gods and mortals, and that the demigods were definitely viable offspring, that they are members of the same species.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no set criteria for determining things to be different species. Most biologists I know don't assert that species is an absolute distinction, and instead see it as a useful rule of thumb that's sometimes wrong in edge cases.

Even the interbreeding definition has significant problems -- for instance, there are things we call separate species that could, theoretically, breed, but don't. Or then there're species which interbreed to produce viable offspring -- that can't interbreed with either parent species (and often are sterile).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

But considering that just about every one of the olympian Gods had multiple demigod offspring, I would think that would qualify them to be the same species. Zeus alone had hundreds of half-human children, which is far more than the number of God children he had.

And those demigod children could, and did, breed with Gods and humans equally easily. There were demigods with humans and gods on both sides of their family trees...

Edit: I always thought this version of the species definition was interesting when put to domesticated dogs.

A chihuahua cannot breed with a great dane, and if these were two seperate populations in the wild we would certainly call them different species. But... A chihuahua can breed with a terrior, who can breed with a beagle, who can breed with a dalmation, who can breed with a great dane. (Or some sililar chain, I'm not a dog expert) [Smile]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

So, were they a different race, then? Which, from what I know(not much), is also a subjective thing.
Xavier
Member # 405

Well biologically speaking, there is no such thing as race.

I would say subspecies [Smile]

Of course, this is all meaningless debate, but that can be the most fun kind. No one is emotionally invested, unless there are more pagans here than I thought [Wink] .

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, but what about Kilingons mating with humans or Bejorans? They have offspring who can have offspring, and they are definitely different species. Right?
Xavier
Member # 405

I would say not, but some biologists would say yes (as fugu says).

I would say different sub-species. In reality, the odds of finding an alien race humans could mate with (without genetic engineering) would be just about zero. The odds that they breathe oxygen, are carbon based, use DNA for gene storage, are cell based, are bipedal, are sexually dimorphic, have similar sex organs, have the same number of chromosomes, and have the genes in roughly the same place is astronomically small. Consider that humans and frogs share over 95% of their DNA, and we cannot even come close to mating. Now consider an organism who evolved from single cells (or primordial ooze) to intelligence in a completely seperate way, and most likely had very different environmental conditions...

There was an episode of The Next Generation that explained that all the humanoid "races" in the show were actually evolved from the same organisms, who I think colonized the different star systems. Thats the best explanation for why they are pretty much all exactly the same, but with slightly different facial features.

I would say subspecies. Perhaps even the exact same species.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, then, what about Zeus and the animals? If he can mate with animals and have humanoid offspring, wouldn't that place him in a different species?Did he change form in order to accomplish this?
Xavier
Member # 405

Huh. I guess my Greek Mythology is a little vague. Are you referring to centaurs or mermaids and the like?

I don't remember if thats how those types of peoples were created. If we have decided that humans and gods are the same species, then if gods can mate with fish and the like, we'd have to consider every animal on earth the same species...

Its an interesting twist I would have to think about... Perhaps I would need to give up all classification and just say that they are gods and can do pretty much anything they want [Wink] .

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

But doesn't their ability to do what they want make them a different species?

Mermaids were mermaids, centaurs were centaurs. I do not remember them being a result of mating between humans and fish or humans and horses.

I would say the ability to change shape and live like a different species would make one's species unique.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, dear, just did some checking.

When Zeus and Leda had their affair(not really an affair, but let's call it that for now), Zeus came to her in the form of a swan.

So she was human, he was swan-shaped. She had human shaped kids, but they were hatched from an egg. Which she laid.

Xavier?

Xavier
Member # 405

Haha, yeah, those darn greek gods were a randy lot weren't they.

Nevermind that Zeus also got a girl preggers in the form of a ray of light. Try classifying THAT. [Smile] .

I meant that I wouldn't consider them the same species as humans, but that's because I would have a hard time classifying them as even being in the animal kingdom, much less a species. They might not even make the definition of organism...

Force of nature perhaps?

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

ha ha! Force of nature would do it. Or magic. Or just godly, maybe.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I wanted to bump this to say the song worked perfectly as a march down the aisle. It was on a little plateau overlooking a small lake in Vermont a few hours before sunset. The song was plenty long enough, and added the right festive touch. [Smile]
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Woohoo! I'm so glad that it all worked out!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.