FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Just Don't Know

Author Topic: Just Don't Know
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Been considering buying a home. First-time buyer, no down sort of deal. However, excellent credit and solid employment. Apparently, I can get up to $200,000, which is starter home range here.

I've learned to love paying the $650 I pay a month for my side of the duplex. If I were to buy, I'd end up paying $1200 a month. I just can't see it . . .

*sigh*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
We pay $1200 a month on our home - and I am so glad we bought.

Mind you, we were paying about the same in rent for an (admittedly nicer, newer and much more well-situated) apartment.

But I love the fact that as house prices increase, our investment grows. And that 6 months on and $5000 paid, we have equity in return for that money. About the equivalent of a brick's worth - but still. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan, ever consider buying a duplex or triplex? The rent you'd collect would likely pay for the bulk of your mortgage.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Now there's a good thought, Noemon - thanks!
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan, I sell mortgages as a part time job around here...email me if you have any questions or want to know if you are getting a good deal.

It is possible to buy up to a 3 family house and still get a homebuyers rate rather than a business rate, as long as it will be you primary residence for at least two years.

With no money down, for the most part you will be paying a higher rate, but they can still be reasonable at this point. After 12 payments, providing the payments and you overall general credit stay good, you can refinance to a regular FHA loan for a fixed 30 mortgage; it would be the best 2G you ever spent, getting into that type of rate program, let me tell you. [Big Grin]

If you want to know more about it, let me know.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

thanks, Kwea - I'll zap off a question or two -
Noemon
Member # 1115

Kwea, when I was in the market a year ago, my mortgage person was able to get me a homebuyer's rate on 4 unit buildings. Is that something that varies by the state?

And Shan, if you have any questions about landlording, there are a couple of us here with some experience at it. Me, Zan, KarlEd I believe, and...hm. I know there are a few others.

Shan
Member # 4550

Here's one - how much time does it take to "landlord." (If I judged by my current landlord, I'd say "none" - but that's not how I'd want to do things.)

I already work FT plus and have a busy 11 year old - is it a significant time investment? What are the tricks?

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
It's easier if you live in the same building...

Generally, if you go the multi-family route, be wary of places that don't have split utilities. Shared utilities is a pain to right into a lease, and if your tenant runs a small web site from their bedroom, or likes AC year-round, it can cause serious problems.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, that's very true. I live in one of my units, so I'm pretty much always onsite. It's nice being able to respond to things right away. One thing you want to watch out for is being too available. You want to provide good, timely service to your tenants, but at the same time you don't want to be at the tenant's absolute beck and call. Some tenants (and I get this only from reading and talking to other landlords--I'm still on my first pair of tenants, and both of them are really great) can attempt to take over your life, calling you multiple times a day for really trivial things.
Noemon
Member # 1115

You'll want to arrange with the utility companies so that when the utilities go out of your tenants' names they automatically switch over into your name rather than being shut off.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Noe, it depends more on the lender than anything else. 4 is more than most lenders are willing to do, although it is allowed by law.

It depends on who you are going through,and who is the Underwriter of the mortgage plan they using, although there are guidlines they all have to follow.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.