FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Australian woman found guilty of drug smuggling

Author Topic: Australian woman found guilty of drug smuggling
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/05/27/corby.appeal/index.html

I didn't see this posted yet, so I thought I'd see if any of you had seen it. It seems nuts. A woman was found guilty of smuggling drugs into Indonesia. However, her defense was that Australian baggage people put the drugs into her bag. An investigation by the Australian government supports her claim (they even made an arrest of one of the handlers who admitted that she didn't know that they had put the drugs in her bag). However, the Indonesian courts dismissed the evidence, and then convicted her and sentenced her to 20 years.

This is a really dumb move on the part of the Indonesian government. They are in dire need of continued international support...and to jail someone when there was evidence that they were innocent is very foolish.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That is messed up.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Do not get busted with drugs. They take their "war on drugs" quite seriously.

Brokedown Palace was set in Thailand, but the theme is still the same.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
It is the end result of the war on drugs. The only way to stop us using is to totally exterminate us. Seems like some people might not quite have the stomach for that after all, though others happily do. Just a bunch of damn junkies anyway. Better a thousand innocents jailed or slain than a single drug smuggler go free.

At least she avoided the death penalty. F*ck Indonesia. Hopefully Australians and others will boycott this barbaric nation at a time when it desperately needs tourism dollars.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
*is reminded vaguely of the Thailand drug-smuggling incident in Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason.*

*giggles*

*wanders out of thread*

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah - except it's not really that simple.

There was no evidence from handlers that drugs were put in her bags whatsoever. There *certainly* hasn't been any arrests of handlers in relation to her case.

There has been allegations of corruption and baggage tampering at Sydney International Airport, but not in connection with drugs.

Her defence case was an unproven hypothesis, not helped by the fact she allegedly told Indonesian customs officials the drugs were hers.

Here's a full analysis on the defence case.

I feel very sorry for the woman. But her case isn't strong, and not many people her expected any other verdict.

Incidentally, the Australian government is applying for a prisoner transfer so she can serve her sentance in an Australian jail.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I can't speak to the differences in Australian and Indonesian judicial systems and jails, but given the choice - I'd take an Aussie trial and prison every time, hands down.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Possession of drugs can get you the death penalty in many countries, including Sri Lanka.

Granted, it's seldom enforced here by all appearances, but that doesn't mean that it won't or can't happen with a particularly zealous judge.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Me too, Trevor.

But then I wouldn't try and smuggle over a kilo of marijuana into a country. Especially one that is very public about its executions of foreign drug smugglers.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Assuming she did it, conviction notwithstanding.

Mental note - never, ever bring anything into an Asian country besides a carry-on and even then, inspect it twice before you try and pass customs.

-Trevor

imogen
Member # 5485

Yep.

Also, if someone finds a (coincidentally exactly the right size and shape to fit perfectly into your body board bag) package of drugs, *don't* tell the customs officials they're yours.

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Marijuana into Indonesia??? That's like smuggling coals into Newcastle.

And no, I wouldn't advise visitors to purchase the weed in Indonesian. Anyone who sells to a tourist can make a LOT more money by turning that tourist in for a reward. The authorities like to pretend that tourists are smuggling the stuff into the country.
Which is probably what happened in Customs.

[ May 29, 2005, 06:25 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.