FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A flower...and another flower...and a bride.

Author Topic: A flower...and another flower...and a bride.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Who can identify where this flower is from?

[ May 19, 2005, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: mackillian ]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of Disney's animated Alice in Wonderland.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, but it's both a gorgeous flower and a gorgeous photo.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone's garden? The store?
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
A certain recent wedding?
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

One guess at a time! And be specific!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Will there be a prize for the winner?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Should there be?
Theca
Member # 1629

http://www.madowl.com/gallery/bobdana/zzt
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, of course, Mack!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

What should it be?
Raia
Member # 4700

A trip to Hawaii.

But only if I win.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

o_O

Within the realm of reason.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

A picture of the flower!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

By the way, I HAVE to discuss pictures with you, Mack. I will email today. I keep forgetting.
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Me too mack, did you ever get that email I sent you ages ago about the wedding pics?

(Sorry to derail your thread).

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Ohh, ok.

I like the picture of the flower idea. [Smile]

mackillian
Member # 586

I thought I'd replied! O_O

Lemme look for it. You can email you again if you want. Stupid email programs.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
There was This Flower all over Washington D.C. when I was there this past weekend. What is it? I'm not familiar with it.

FG

(oops - looks like I forgot to scale down the photo before uploading -- sorry if it takes forever to load)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Nicole, I found it and replied.

fg--that is SOME PINK.

Theca
Member # 1629

Farmgirl, that looks like a variety of azalea. Here's a picture of one type that looks similar?

http://www.flounder.ca/FraserSouth/gallery.asp

Oops. Pick the "albrechtii" link.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
oh yeah -- it definately does look like that. I'll mark it on my notes as an azalea. Thanks! We must not have many of those around here...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
i know them by the name of Alcatraz...
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Azaleas are very common in Virginia - you should see the drive into the Norfolk airport when the azaleas are blooming (goes right through the Botanical Gardens).
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a calla lily to me, a flower often used at weddings.

Was it taken from someone's wedding bouquet? Dana's?

Just guessing.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Houston is covered with azaleas every spring. Dallas has some, but we don't get as much rain as Houston.

See Houston from above in azalea season is really something. You can see the Pink.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Yup, a calla lily from Bob n Dana's wedding. The IR negatives and contact sheet FINALLY arrive today. It took them forever to process them and I'm not sure why. [Mad]

They turned out really cool, but STILL. A ridiculous wait. They did send it next day air once they were done, their dollar. [Mad]

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Gorgeous picture, mac.

I had calla lillies on my place settings at my wedding, but I don't have any cool pictures like that.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

That's why people hire me as their photographer. [Wink]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Very true. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
It reminds me of a Mapplethorpe, really Mack. I thought that's where you were going with this.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Tom and I were at a wedding this past weekend and the photographers were obnoxious. That got us talking about how great a wedding photographer we thought you were. You were in all the right places at the right times, but didn't command presence or focus the wedding as a picture-taking event. And the pictures you took are phenomenal. (Including that lily one) You really are a great photographer, Mack! Makes me half tempted to do it all over again just so we could hire you as a photographer. [Smile]
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking calla lilly too, but it looks like someone already posted it. [Smile]

Of course, I was thinking, 'That's that funeral flower. . .'

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

No, Scott, it's For Weddings and a Funeral.
mackillian
Member # 586

Whoa. Our mothertree was so right.

Christy, I also went to a friend's wedding where the photographer was obnoxious. It seemed that he had to be nearly important as the bridge and groom. VERY obtrusive, especially during the ceremony itself. Using flash, jumping all over the place, it took away from the ceremony. That's when I knew that a photographer is there to document the event in the best way possible, but isn't supposed to exactly be a PART of the event. The attention should be on the bride and groom and the party, and not the photographer.

There are SOME times when you have to make yourself known. During the portrait shoot. Or in the reception when I was trying to get the dancing shots and people kept walking in front of me.

Memories of the event shouldn't be of the photographer, they should be of that day, and the photographers pictures should bring up memories of that DAY, of the celebration of a couple, with friends and family.

mackillian
Member # 586

Another flower.

A bride.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Amazing.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.