FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: Star Wars means never having to say you're sorry

Author Topic: New column: Star Wars means never having to say you're sorry
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Star Wars means never having to say you're sorry

I have just agreed to go on a swanky date with my ex. Even in the best of times this is what bad situation comedies are made of, but in this case my ex happens to be a $115 million blockbuster movie. This is always tricky to explain to your therapist.

The third and final "Star Wars" prequel is slinking toward a theater near you. And, like many other fans of the "Star Wars" sagas, I have been experiencing a familiar feeling of anticipatory dread, the certain knowledge that I'm about to go willingly into a painful and uncomfortable experience.

"Star Wars," you see, is like an ex-girlfriend.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
VERY funny!
quote:
figured that, like every other ex, she only came back when she was broke and desperately needed $431 million domestic.
That part made me laugh out loud. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that was one of the best parts! That and:
quote:
A new hope springs eternal, love makes you do crazy things, and the lava pit fight scene looks wicked cool.
Nice reasons!
[ROFL]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
This column was originally written with a slightly different, more dejected outcome in mind. Then I got invited to judge a costume contest (and see the movie in the VIP room) late yesterday afternoon, and had to rewrite it rather quickly.

If it seems sloppier than usual, that's the excuse I'm going with...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

I didn't think it seemed sloppy at all. The apparent easy flow of all the metaphors makes me wonder if your past romances didn't involve Glenn Close and a bunny rabbit, though. [Wink]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
As always, very enjoyable. I am so very not sure how to feel about gooing to this particular movie tonight. *sigh*
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

O, I'm going to assume that was a typo. Otherwise I'm thinking you take your movies much too seriously...

KarlEd, my past romances involve my wife. Met her in high school and we're still together. Fortunately (?) I have the experiences of many close friends to call upon, a few of whom have been psycho girlfriends themselves [Smile]

Olivetta
Member # 6456

I'm just tired. We were going to go tomorrow night, but then found out it's the wee one's preschool graduation. So Ron decided wwe'd try for the midnight showing, since they boys (and his brother who lives with us and sometimes babysits) will be home asleep.

I'm sure it will rock. [Wink]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Still, I've got a bad feeling about this...
You're feelings betray you.

I can't go until probably Friday night or Saturday - Eve and I want to see it together, and I'm stuck in Charlottesville for a few days.

But I'm looking forward to this like I haven't looked forward to a movie since I found out Sam Raimi was directing Spider-man. And the only movie that ever beat that for anticipation was Return of the Jedi. I once bid on a "Revenge of the Jedi" poster (yes, "Revenge," not "Return"), but didn't win it. Which was a good thing, since it might have meant not eating for a whole semester.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

I love Foxtrot:

http://www.ucomics.com/foxtrot/2005/05/14/

Had a similar moment at my house recently. Heh.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting that, Olivetta. [Laugh]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

A friend of mine has one of those, Dag. Behind glass.

I'm still mixed. I've been burned before, but all the reviews are coming out so happy...

After it was mentioned to me that there was a spoiler in my column, I had to investigate. I was wildly non-specific, I thought, but I do mention a (SPOILER!) lava pit fight, which I thought was mentioned in the first trilogy because, you know, everyone knows that.

So I goggled, and found out that it wasn't mentioned in the films, but in a series of interviews Lucas gave in 1977. Here's a link that explains this (4th paragraph, may be spoilers on the page).

So I'm going, and we'll see. I am, however, going to wear my "Serenity" button.

Olivetta
Member # 6456

Lol
I don't think it's a spoiler at all. I mean, I don't think most people consider it a spiler if it's been in the trailer and on freakin' boxes of POP-tarts for six months. NO. Not a spoiler.

I put a spoiler warning on it when I posted a link to it on a Star Wars list I'm on, but only becaue those people are unbelievable spoiler-phobic. A couple of them have probably had to avoid printed materials for a month, and haven't been to the grocery store in twice that.

One of them even posted angrily because she stayed out of the theater at Hitchhiker's Guide until the SW trailer was over to avoid seeing it, but then other people were so rude as to talk about the trailer on their way out of the theater! OMG! Stone them!

People are weird. I don't really think it's a spoiler, but this SW discussion list I'm on has a few extra-crispy strange members, is all.

KarlEd
Member # 571

"extra-crispy strange" gotta remember that! [Big Grin]
Olivetta
Member # 6456

*bows*

[Big Grin]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Your article has to be the best description of the feelings I feel about the upcoming movie.

I sense...a disturbance in the force...like millions of dollars are being sucked up by a hoover named Lucas.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
After it was mentioned to me that there was a spoiler in my column, I had to investigate. I was wildly non-specific, I thought, but I do mention a (SPOILER!) lava pit fight, which I thought was mentioned in the first trilogy because, you know, everyone knows that.
The lava pit is mentioned in the RotJ novelization which was of course published in 1983. So most die-hard fans and even some casuals have known about it for at least 22 years now. I'd hardly call that a spoiler. Also, I respect fans who feel differently, but I don't think that anything that's in a trailer or tv ad should be considered a spoiler. Most of the time they're taken way out of context anyway. Sometimes scenes from the trailer aren't even in the final cut of the movie!
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a trap Chris! It's a trap!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, as always. Beautifully written.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, but it was only two sentences.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
lol

not only was that a great article, but the comments on this thread are great!

[ROFL]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hilarious. Especially, "I got a bad feeling about this..."
Now I am trying to decide if I will see it on Saturday but 7-9.75 bucks is a lot of money and there will be crowds.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

We have tickets for the 12:15 tonight, purchased today.

We will be going to the theater very early, in comfortable shoes.

I will be off liquids after 9pm...

*scampers off to drink spring water*

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Is it naive of me to assume that my party of three will get decent seats if we arrive at 11:00 for the midnight show?? (we have our tickets already, of course).
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

disclaimer: This is from the girl who was going to buy tickets two days ahead, but went with one instead. (for SpiderMan2) And I left so much time for standing in line that we were first in line despite totalling a car.

I still think an hour isn't enough.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

...I guess it also depends on your location. I've been to other big releases at this theatre on opening night and not had a problem. I've never been to a midnight show though. I'll probably take my chances nonetheless. If It turns out to be a bad idea, "I told ya so" need not be said, because I'll already be kicking myself.
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
That's true. There are lots of factors going into this. In my example, the theater was a Sony Metreon, and I'm fairly sure those are only in major metropolitan areas.. Plus your three people. I think our group had ten.
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

The midnight showing of LotR:TT was packed at this theater. I think we were there an hour early, and our seats did not completely suck, IIRC.

However, like it or not, this is bigger than LotR. Star wars is a pan-cultural event.

There were no lines to see AotC at 4pm on opening day, but I bet the midnight was still packed.

I'm wearing comfy shoes and taking a book.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Go for the droids. The droids will set you free.

Or at least beep meaningfully and utter vague angst-ridden monologues.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.