FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Got a job offer today. Don’t know what to do……..

Author Topic: Got a job offer today. Don’t know what to do……..
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
So… I got a job offer today. SAIC lost the NASA contact last week and I started sending out my resume as soon as it happened. Northrop Grumman won the primary contract and I would really like to work for them directly instead of being a sub contractor. The offer of course is from a sub contractor. I’m just so unsure how to play this game and how not to make anyone mad, but to get the best deal. I’ve been in email contact with Northrop, but nothing the past two days. Guess I should just be happy with getting a new offer. Any thoughts?
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm..I don't know. THis is a very good question. Is saxon75 around? He used to work for a contractor, so he may know. He would probably respond to an e-mail if you wanted to ask him and he didn't see this thread.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
It's easier to find a job when you've already got a job.

When you're unemployed you throw in your hat with all those jobless people who were discharged because they didn't measure up. How is your future employer to know that you're any different?

And some bosses get a buzz from stealing employings from other bosses.

Take the offer and keep looking. Your future boss would do the same to you and worse if he were in your position. Heck, we hired a new boss last year who did nothing but sit at his phone, using our company name to build leads toward his next job.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was job hunting, I got nothing for the first two months looking, then I had two roll in at the same time and it was tough to know which horse to get on. Trying to get on both at once only works if you're Indiana Jones.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
At worst, your boss will be happy that he has one less person to give a layoff notice to.
At best, s/he will make it quite clear that you will be transfered to other SAIC projects by counter-offering you substantially more in pay and/or benefits to retain your sevices for the long term.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I would give the other company a little more time, as long as it won't endanger the new offer....also, is this a conract position you are being offerd? If so, you would be obligated to finish it even if the other place offers one after you begin the new one...

Just something to consider.

Good luck either way, and it is pretty cool that you at least have options, huh?

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Go for the subcontractor job. If they have an ESOP or other way for you to buy a slice of the company, do it...a little at a time.

In the Defense/Space industry, these little fish get bought up all the time and I know several folks who have made tens of thousands of dollars in the buyout deals.

If they don't have an ESOP, already, ask if they'll sell you stock anyway.

And worst case, it's always easier to look for a new job from the position of already having a job.

Sorry about SAIC. Do you think it had anything to do with the company not being US-owned?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.