FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why I don't want Bo Bice to win Idol...not what you think!

Author Topic: Why I don't want Bo Bice to win Idol...not what you think!
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Bo, and I like what he's done on Idol. I picked my top 3 favorites about 2 weeks into the season...Vonzel, Carrie, and Bo. I do not however, want Bo to win. He is my favorite and were he to win he would be stuck with the contract provided to the winner....and shackled to performing pretty much what and when they tell him to...but if he finishes second, he's pretty much gonna get a contract from somewhere else that gives him some creative control over his future. Face it... out of all the Idol winners so far the only one to really make a name for themself was the origional...what's her name? [Blushing] Oh yeah ! Kelly Clarkson. The other Idol alums who have made something of themselves because of Idol are the ones who didn't win and weren't stuck with the Idol contract....so now you know why I dont want him to win, does anybody agree with my logic? [Razz]
Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. It's a shame that Fantasia won.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Jenni, the runner up is under contract as well. That includes that Justin from season one and Clay from season two.

(I've only seen 3-4 episodes, but definitely read this somewhere)

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
While doing a google search (trying to see if what I said was actually the case) I came across this article. It doesn't say if the runner up gets a contract. It does, however, say that Simon was the manager of the spice girls (until they gave him the boot) and that he gets a VERY healthy portion of the winner's earnings.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
The top twelve are all under contract.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jenni, sorry to be completely off topic, but you sing for films, right? Forgive me if I'm completely off track, or if I have the wrong Jenni...
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. From what I gleaned from OSC's column, it does seem that the top 12 are obligated.

quote:
Speaking of Idol, though, why did Mario Vasquez quit the show?

My speculation: Once he was actually in as one of the final twelve, he would have been contractually bound to continue with them, touring with the American Idol concert show and letting them produce (and therefore control) his first records.

It was clear that he was the standout performer of this group, rather the way Fantasia was last year. That was no guarantee he would have won, of course. But somebody got to him and offered him a lot of money and a lot more control over his recording career.

All he has to do is wait out the contract that he already signed. Undoubtedly he has a noncompetition clause that keeps him from recording anything during the run of the show, and perhaps for a little while afterward. But then he's a free agent.

Rather like sitting out a season or going to play football in Canada in order to get out of a contract with the team that drafted you.

Vasquez is doing what he believes is right for him, and he's following the rules that he agreed to when he signed up for Idol. He was good for the show in the early going, and the show was good for him, and he's going to do no harm to the show now that he's left it.

And I, for one, am looking forward to buying his first album and watching him in his first movie.

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2005-03-20.shtml
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.