FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Original Works

Author Topic: Original Works
Lacerta
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for Lacerta   Email Lacerta         Edit/Delete Post 
Which do people prefer,original works, or Hollywood knock offs?
Why am I asking this, you ask? Simple, I have a slight fedish with foriegn films, such as Koji Suzuki's Ring series, or the Irish television series Father Ted. If something like father ted were to be brought to america and remade, I think i would die...Yeah...I digress...
Anyhow, tell me which you prefer!

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Coupling the original was far better than Coupling the American version.

But we could also expand this to include Hollywood originals or Bollywood knock-offs. There are plenty of Bollywood movies (as in, a lot, really) that are copies of several Hollywood movies - they combine elements of this, that, and the other to form their own version. For example, Koi...Mil Gaya, which is a lot of E.T. with sprinklings of Flowers for Algernon (the book, really. Don't know if a movie was ever made) and some Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Or Dewaar, which is The Great Escape. Or the one that was a knock-off of Serendipity. Then there was the knock-off of The Invisible Man.

I enjoyed the Bollywood knock-offs. Koi...Mil Gaya wasn't as good as I remember E.T. being, but then, I saw only the last 1/2 of it whenever it originally came back, so maybe that's just a childhood memory coming into play. However, it was still enjoyable. Same with Dewaar - a very good movie, but then it has Amitabh Bachchan in it, and his movies tend to be very good.

But then, they have different intended audiences, which becomes even more obvious when you watch them. Imagine The Great Escape with singing and dancing numbers done by supposedly emaciated nearly dying prisoners. It's laughable to westerners, but expected by the Hindi audience.

Better? Worse? Depends. How about just different?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
For Flowers for Algernon, there was a movie, it was called Charly.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Although it wasn't really the same at all....

I prefer the original... [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the book Flowers for Algernon much more than Charly. I thought it was a better format to tell the story with--the journal entries.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lacerta
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for Lacerta   Email Lacerta         Edit/Delete Post 
aaahhh...Never seen it..or heard of it.. Maybe I should pick it up
Posts: 29 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Imagine The Great Escape with singing and dancing numbers done by supposedly emaciated nearly dying prisoners. It's laughable to westerners, but expected by the Hindi audience.
Actually, that sounds rather excellent. [Wink]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Although it wasn't really the same at all....

I prefer the original... [Big Grin]

Would that be the original novel? Or the original short story?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
And none of this answers the original question...

My, but we do get sidetracked easily, don't we? [ROFL]

Raia, it was rather good. If you can, see it. If you can't, if you ask me real nice, I might send you a copy. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

What's it called, again? I couldn't figure it out from your original post. I'll see if the Ozen has it, and if they do, I'll check it out. If not, I'll let you know. [Wink]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Dewaar. It's even linked to itself in the IMDB database. For your ease of retrieval and informational purposes. [Big Grin]
Raia
Member # 4700

Is it the 1975 one, or the 2004?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh, 2004. For sure. With Amitabh Bachchan.

You could also check out the Bollywood thread for other movie recommendations.

But Raia, I meant that, in this thread, the first time I mention Dewaar, it's linked to the IMDB database. I think you missed that.

Raia
Member # 4700

Oh, haha, I did. Oops. Thanks, quid! I don't think the Ozen has it ( [Frown] ), but I don't trust the website to tell me. I'll have to go and ask them at some point.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

You can also check out the entry labelled Bollywood for Beginners in this thread for even more Bollywood recommendations.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.