FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anybody read any Edgar Rice Burroughs?

Author Topic: Anybody read any Edgar Rice Burroughs?
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering if anyone here has ever read anything by Edgar Rice Burroughs (creator of Tarzan), specifically the Barsoom series? I grew up reading them, and on the spur of the moment the other day I pulled the first one out again (A Princess of Mars) and reread it for the I dunno whatth time, and thoroughly enjoyed it again, so got the next two and started ripping through them. This is the series that Carl Sagan says got him fascinated with space.
The first was written in 1912, published in book form in 1919, so they have a wonderful old fashioned romantic fantasy, derring-do quality to them: superhuman hero, gorgeous heroines, loads of cliff hanger action, swords, exotic species, LOADS of action.
I just smile affectionately at the happy coincidences that expedite the action, reminding myself that Dickens loved coincidences too, and at the at times old fashioned dialogue, and just revel in the amazing products of Burroughs incredible imagination.
I especially recommend A Princess of Mars; The Gods of Mars; The Warlord of Mars; (all featuring John Carter, earthman mysteriously transported to Mars), Chessmen of Mars; and A Fighting Man of Mars, but they're all fun.

[ May 08, 2005, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: Cashew ]

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I did as a kid, but I don't remember anything. How helpful [Wink]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Only the Tarzan stuff. Which, I have to say, is better than any movie version has ever been.

My local NPR station is having 1/2-hour readings of Tarzan of the Apes every afternoon. It's wonderful!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.