FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why am I so bad at photoshop?

Author Topic: Why am I so bad at photoshop?
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously.

I'm a pretty intelligent person. I'm very computer literate. I know html and multiple programming languages. And yet I can't even do the simplest things in photoshop!

I can usually get by if I'm editing a premade image, but if I have to do anything from scratch, I'm dead in the water.

I know it can't be THAT difficult to use.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to lack the photoshop gene too. I suppose I need to play with it more but last time I tried to do anything it was a disaster.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Photoshop is designed to let you edit premade images. Creating something from scratch is more the domain of Illustrator.

If you aren't familiar with the Photoshop tools, though, maybe you could buy a book? That's how I got started in Maya, and it worked like a charm. [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
You can do a lot of the same stuff in Photoshop that you can in illustrator- it's just a lot easier to do in Illustrator. The pen tools are there just the same. Gabe from Penny Arcade uses Photoshop exclusively to "ink" his pencils.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to use it to ink my pencils and it didn't work well, even though I was following a step by step guide from a web page (granted, it was for a different version of photoshop)

I am probably going to have to buy a book. =/

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

yeah me too, which I'm not happy about.

I learned Dreamweaver just by mucking about and using the help/tutorial. Neither of which is helping me in Photoshop at all.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Strider, get the Adobe Photoshop Classroom-in-a-Book. It's about twenty dollars, I think, but it's the best book I've ever read for any program. It provides examples and projects for everything, and there are twenty projects in there all focusing on different parts of the program. I love it - until this spring, I'd never taken a Photoshop class but learned everything from experimentation and those books. And I hate learning new computer programs. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

$20 used you mean? Cause it's $45 new! [Razz]

But it seems cool, I'll probably pick it up. $20 is more than worth not having to deal with the frustration of not being able to do anything in photoshop.

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp

Recently, I just learned how to create a lightsaber/blaster shot through this site. All you need is a strip of white and photoshop skillz. Very cool.

What, exactly, are you trying to do in photoshop. Bit unclear on that.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

well, I'd like to learn how to use it in general. Because it'd be good for me.

But right now what i'm trying to do is create some buttons for a webpage. Easy right? Well not for me!!!

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Gabe from Penny Arcade does use photoshop to ink, but he has a wacom, (A very high end and expensive one at that) which is kind of like a sketchpad for the computer. Very nice, but probably too much for your purposes.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, here's an example of a really ugly circle button. If I explain stuff you already know, I'm sorry, mainly I'm going to cover as many details as I can. Note: this is for photoshop 6. If you have photoshop elements, it will probably be different.

1) File > New
-Dimensions 4 inches x 6 inches (though, really, this is just a pick and guess part, and turned out my size was way too big)

2) Click on the text tool (the big T over there).
-Type 'Hey'. Size of it doesn't matter, you can fix that later.

3) One of the selection tools (usually in the top left corner) is for a circular marquee. If there is a square, click and hold and then pick the circular one.

In the layer palette, click on 'background' (if you are having troubles finding this place, go to "window > hide layers" and it will take it away, then go "window > show layers" and it will bring it back.)

4) Click and drag the mouse on your canvas till you have a nice sized cirle highlighted.

5) Ctrl + V

If you notice, in the palette that has layers, there is now a "layer 1" that contains a white circle that you just selected.

6) On that layer pallete, it will have a layer called "background". By that layer, there should be an eye looking thing. Click that. The white back ground goes away leaving you with the white circle and the text. Note: it is not deleted, just not visable.

6) Click on where it says "layer 1" in the pallete. It should be highlighted now.

7) Select the move tool (on mine it's an arrow with a cross by it). Move the white circle until it is under your text.

8) In the layer pallete, click on your text. That layer should be highlighted now.

9) Click edit > free transform (note: on elements it's image > transform > free transform) and scale your text to fit your circle. Once done, hit enter.

10) In the layer pallete, click on layer one (your circle). Then right click on it and click on 'blending options.' If this option doesn't come up, you want to right click a little more to the right then where you did previously.

11) Now comes the style part. What I did was this:

Click on 'drop shadow'.

Click on 'inner shadow'.

Clicked on outter glow. Once the options for that came up, I
:chose 'screen' for blend mode
:changed the color in the box to red
:gave it 75 percent opacity

Clicked on Bevel and Emboss. Once that option came up, I chose
:inner bevel as style
:depth of 231 percent
:direction: up
:chose an angle of direction that I liked.
:I also messed around with the size and distance till I had a cool effect.

Clicked on Color Overlay.
I chose blue as the color in that box.
I also chose a blending mode: normal.

I know tutorials suck eggs, but I do hope this helps. If you do have Elements, I could try to change it for that, if you need me to.

[ May 03, 2005, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

No time to try it out now..I'm out the door.

But i'll try it later and let you know how it goes. Thanks.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
A good quick way to get good 3-D effects for small buttons is to use Filter>Render>Lighting Effects.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.