FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kids and Disabilities

Author Topic: Kids and Disabilities
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
The world would be a better place if we all responded to people as four year olds do.

Today, I took my four year old Abigail to her dance studio for pictures. All the little girls were running around in their tutus with their hair in ballet buns and just as beautiful as can be.

There was a mother there I had not met before - her daughter was brought to class by her grandmother during the year so I'd actually never met the mom, who worked during the day. This mom was a young woman with a malformed hand. It reminded me of Thalidomide malformations, but she is way too young for that to be the cause. Her forearm ended in a very small hand, with only a semblance of fingers.

I didn't even notice until I saw that all the little ballerinas were clustered around this woman, including my daughter. She was showing them her hand, and they were touching it and asking questions about it. The little girl whose mother it was was standing beside her mother and beaming, apparently proud that her mom was the center of attention.

On the way home, I didn't mention it but Abigail brought it up. She said "Did you see Sage's Mommy? She has a big hand and a baby hand." I said "Yes, I saw her." Abigail then said "She has yellow hair just like Sage does. She was so pretty."

My daughter saw the disability, and dismissed it as not being as important as the fact that the mom looked like her daughter and was pretty.

Lord, grant me the innocent spirit of a four year old when I meet people that are in any way different from me.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
That story just made my day. I'm glad you shared it. [Group Hug]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
That is beautiful. [Smile]
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The world would be a better place if we all responded to people as four year olds do.
Why?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, that was great. [Smile]
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] That's so awesome.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, I have it on pretty good authority that four-year-olds don't respond at all well to James Bond movies.

[Wink]

Sorry. Didn't mean to inject my cynicism into your thread. The stuff kind of follows me around, and it tends to get left behind wherever I go, like snail slime.

Anyway, yes, that's a charming story. A child's innocence can be a refreshing escape from the coldness of the adult world.

Edit: Suddenly I feel compelled to point out that the last paragraph was not meant to be sarcastic, while the others were meant to be jokes. It came out looking worse than I meant it.

[ May 02, 2005, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Verily the Younger ]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.