FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I may actually have to WORK for my paycheck today

Author Topic: I may actually have to WORK for my paycheck today
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
There are a TON of people in the music library computer lab.

Shh! Go away! No cellphones, no food!

This means YOU!

No, you can't print out 300 pages at a time. Why? Because it would slow down the print queue and make everyone else wait five times as long for their one little page. That's why we have a page limit of 50.

No, I didn't just make it up. It's ALWAYS been that way. You've just never FOLLOWED THE RULES before!!

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No, I didn't just make it up. It's ALWAYS been that way. You've just never FOLLOWED THE RULES before!!
How tempted were you to say "Yes, I just made that rule up because I don't like you."
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Very tempted, in fact. [Wink]

I actually had to tell some girl who got pissy with me (because I told her she couldn't talk on her phone in the library), that I really was just doing my job and that it wasn't anything personal.

Yeesh. People are just...RUDE.

*stabs all the really rude people*

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm sorry, but you're not worth the effort of lying to."

Sorry Megan - the day will get better.

I hope. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

It's ok; it really could be MUCH worse.

Since I'm at the very end of coursework, I don't actually have all the final papers and projects that all my friends have (and indeed, that's the issue with all these poor souls in the music library, as well [Big Grin] ). I really can't complain TOO much. It's just my ever-present issue with people acting like selfish jerks in libraries. That will always be a part of me, and no amount of being done with coursework will change that.

Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy I’d be in such trouble with my hands free cellular, secret stash of food, and printing out 50 pages at a time until it was done.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Jay, if you were printing out 50 pages at a time, that'd be ok.

If you were eating, I'd tell you to stop. If you refused, I'd ask you to leave. If you continued to refuse, I'd call my supervisor who'd call IUPD on you. [Big Grin]

If you were talking on your cellphone, I'd as you politely to stop. If you refused, I'd just stand behind and be nasty about it until you stopped.

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*stabs all the really rude people*
*stabbits too*

Megan, it's a good thing you don't work in Israel. I'm not sure you'd survive the day without killing anyone. [Razz]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Probably true. [Big Grin]

It wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't working in a freakin' LIBRARY. It's as if people have just completely lost the concept of libraries as places of quiet study.

I have personal issues with cellphones; I'm willing to admit it. I think people tend to be extraordinarily rude to others around them while using cellphones, and see nothing wrong with it.

This isn't my personal feeling, though; this is a library rule.

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Problems with cellphones?

DEFINITELY don't come here.

Cellphones aren't a device in this country. They're an epidemic.

Some people have more than one. Not kidding.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
You wouldn't have a problem with me. I've never had a cellphone. :halo:
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

[Kiss]

I have no problem with people with cellphones (I'm married to one of em). My issue is with people who use them in very rude manners, and the fact that having a cellphone seems to destroy people's sense of what's appropriate when and where. I've been in the position of overhearing sooo many conversations because a person couldn't manage to keep their voices low enough while talking into a cellphone that it didn't carry over the entire area they were in at the time.

As I've said before, part of the problem is that people tend to raise their voices when talking on phones, because they're not getting any aural feedback of their own voice (unlike a land-line phone). They talk louder than they would either on a land-line phone or talking person-to-person.

The other issue is that people have begun to view the freedom of communication their cellphone gives them as THEIR right to exercise ANYWHERE, regardless of how it might disturb people around them. Like I said, I wouldn't be having nearly as big a problem if this weren't a library.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.