FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Three Types of Leaders

Author Topic: Three Types of Leaders
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Watching the History Channel last night, I began thinking there are three types of leaders.

There are those who reward the good and punish the bad. This is the type of learder President Bush is trying to be. However, the definition of good and bad are debatable.

There are those, not so noble, who reward the loyal and punish those who are against them. They may assume this is rewarding the Good and punishing the bad, but in truth it is a self-centered politics, the politics of ego. This is the type of leader Tom Delay is turning out to be. Even other Republicans remark how vindictive and threatening he can be when they disagree with him.

Then there are those who are more cowardly. They reward those with power and punish those without it. This is the type of leader that Tom Bolton appears to be, fawning to those who have power over him and thumping anyone below him.

There is another type of leader. We've seen his like only a few times. I am refering the a true Christian leader who like Christ, does not reward or punish, but pushes the good and the bad, the powerful and the powerless, those who agree with him and those who do not, to look into themselves to become better people.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am refering the a true Christian leader who like Christ, does not reward or punish, but pushes the good and the bad, the powerful and the powerless, those who agree with him and those who do not, to look into themselves to become better people.
You're wrong about Christ not punishing the wicked.

quote:

St. Matthew 25
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
Christ declaring people to be damned does not mean that he caused them to be damned. Stating the the "punishment" is not the same as punishing.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Hmm. We disagree, Porter-- just as Christ takes an active part in being merciful to us, so he takes an active role in our punishment.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't he whip some money-changers in the temple? Wouldn't that be considered a punishment?
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We disagree, Porter-- just as Christ takes an active part in being merciful to us, so he takes an active role in our punishment.
Actually, I didn't say what my belief is. I just said that the verse you quoted does not "prove" that He punishes anybody.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Regardless of who or what is doing the punishing, it is certain that there were definite unpleasant consequences to not following the Lord.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Christ declaring people to be damned does not mean that he caused them to be damned. Stating the the "punishment" is not the same as punishing.
But isn't this the same as the Medieval Church naming heretics as 'bad', then handing them off to the lay courts because they can't actually inflict the damage, who then hires a hangman? Who is doing the punishing? The church? The layman? or is it only the person who is killing, or inflicting pain? Or is it all three? Or could it be just the courts and the church, because the hangman is only doing his job?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

No doubt.
Teshi
Member # 5024

[Confused]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

I was replying to kat.
Portabello
Member # 7710

Now I'll respond to Teshi:

It could also be like a parent telling their child that if they play with fire, they could get burned. If they go ahead and defy the parent, you can't blame the parent for inflicting pain on the child, just because they warned about the pain.

Scott R
Member # 567

Porter--

I dunno-- when Christ says, 'Depart ye cursed,' it's seems to me that he's doing the punishing. . .

EDIT x2: Clarification and slight word change.

[ May 02, 2005, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

But then who does the punishing? In that way, no one punishes except for the person who has broken the law. You are punishing yourself.

I recognise that that is definately the case however, I do not think that allows the person who gave the ultimatum to not also culpable an is also the punisher.

Portabello
Member # 7710

Scott -- I'll agree that in that verse it does appear that way. [Smile]

[ May 02, 2005, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Portabello ]

Portabello
Member # 7710

quote:
I do not think that allows the person who gave the ultimatum to not also culpable an is also the punisher.
How is the parent that warns against fire culpable? Or did I misunderstand you?
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
By a strange coincidence, the current edition of The Onion features an op-ed by Tom DeLay and it gives an insight into his leadership style:

Guess What - It's Tom DeLay's Frisbee Now, by Tom DeLay

quote:
Damn it! What did I tell you kids?

Yeah, I'm talking to you, you little hippie freaks. Didn't I tell you to stop messing around on the Capitol lawn? Don't act like you didn't hear me when I stuck my head out the window earlier. I saw you look up. I saw you laughing. Punks! I told you to clear out and take your games somewhere else. Then, not 15 minutes later, this thing sails right through the window and interrupts deliberations of the House Committee on Ways and Means.

Oh yeah? Is that so? Well, guess what. It's Tom DeLay's Frisbee now.

So, this would be the "it's my frisbee, now" style of leadership. [Wink]

[ May 02, 2005, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

If the child touches the fire, is burned, and then the parent locks them in their room, then the parent is punishing.

In the same way, if Christ warns against sinning, someone sins and then Christ punishes them, Christ plays a part in the punishing.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

Portabello
Member # 7710

Forget about locking the child in their room -- I'm just talking about getting burned.

The idea is that just as getting burned is a natural consequence of touching fire, damnation is a natural consequence of some things.

Scott R
Member # 567

Fire does not have the capacity to forgive. . .
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
separation from God/damnation is a natural outcome of sin. Just as being burned is a natural outcome of sticking your hand in the fire.

Christ can prevent that natrual separation, but only if you ask him to. If you refuse to ask for help, I don't see how him allowing you to face the natural consequenses of your act is him punishing you.

I don't really see how fire not being able to forgive matches up here. Christ is not the fire (or the cause of damnation) our own acts are the cause of that. Christ is the one who prevents the damnation/or burn that comes from our actions, if we only ask him.

Oh, and Christ did not whip the money changers. He drove them out of the temple, and overturned the tables They were not punished...but they were prevented from scamming people anymore (Matthew 12-15; Mark 11:15-17; Luke: 19:47, 48)

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn. Leave it to the Christians to totally miss the point.

What Dan meant to say was "leader like [the agnostic's idealized version of] Christ."

However, Dan, you must have missed the $400 million in Bush's lastest request for $80 billion for the Iraqi war for the "solidarity initiative." We are rewarding those who were with us, and punishing or ignoring those who were not with us, or "against us." Ignore France, Punish Germany and Reward Russia, according to Condoleezza Rice.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

From my rereading of the new testament, most of Christ's teachings were designed to get people to be better. He offered his teachings to sinners both common and priestly.

However, he knew that some would not heed his teachings, so would be condemned to sin and hell. He did not condemn them, but warned that his father would.

I admit I am not done rereading all of the New Testament, and am no biblical scholar, so that idea may be my personal bias.

It doesn't matter with the main comments, that we need to examine which type of leaders we are following, to see whom they are favoring and whom they are punishing.

Punishing those who disagree with us, while rewarding those who support us is common and human. However, when we talk like we represent all that is good in the world, but then show favoritism, our talk of Good and Bad seems cheap and our crusade seems a mockery.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Is it really favoritism to reward the hound that protects your home, and to euthanize the dog with rabies?
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

No. But it is favoritism to feed the dog that licks your face and euthenise the ones that bark at you to protect their own master's home.
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
man, I think this thread has taken the analogies a step too far. [Smile]

One person starts...and I guess all the rest of us felt the need to continue it...but sheesh, it is starting to get a bit overboard.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

quote:
Damn. Leave it to the Christians to totally miss the point.
We didn't miss the point. We just found something else more interesting than the point.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, and Christ did not whip the money changers. He drove them out of the temple, and overturned the tables They were not punished...but they were prevented from scamming people anymore (Matthew 12-15; Mark 11:15-17; Luke: 19:47, 48)
Oh, sorry. I can't seem to find my copy of the New Testament, or I'd have tried to look it up first. Where did I get the idea that he whipped them, I wonder? [Confused]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.