FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Medicos

Author Topic: Hatrack Medicos
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Statins (lipitor, etc.) cause cognitive, sexual, and motor dysfunction!!!??? Plus tingling in feet & hands, maybe even joint pains!!! [Eek!]

Is the advice to go off them now for people without serious risk of heart disease?

I've had slightly high cholesterol and been treated successfully for awhile with statins. But now I hear that I'm poisoning my poor little mitochondria. I like my mitochondria. I'm a total ATP addict! I need it!

So...what to do?

Dietary supplements to forestall the effects?

More thorough blood tests to see if I'm in danger of decreased mitochondrial function?

Thanks!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, I really don't think this is a good time for you to have sexual dysfunction...... [No No]

[Big Grin]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob you could just take a Coenzyme Q10 supplement.

http://www.discount-vitamins-herbs.net/statin_side-effects.htm

Or do Atkins and stop taking the statins.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there EVER a good time for that? [Evil]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

I suppose it depends on which spouse you are asking and how mad they are at the time. [Wink]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob...if she EVER says that, then you aren't doinf it right in the first place! [Evil]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Take Coenzyme Q10 if you are concerned. I haven't heard yet of any great concern among cardiologists or internists on using statins. The studies on the benefits of statins are so exciting and so positive and yet all the press seems to focus on negatives that haven't been proven in studies to be statistically significant. If something new has come out I haven't heard it yet.

[ May 01, 2005, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: Theca ]

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,

Your entire lipid profile is more important than just your total cholesterol.

For example, how are your HDLs? Good? Or too low?

Total cholesterol is important, but so is the ratio of LDLs to HDLs.

Recently, more and more attention is being given to triglyceride levels. There are studies trying to show that TG levels may be more indicitive of the risk of a cardiac event than even total cholesterol.

My advice would be (sorry Kayla) to never do Atkins, take nutritionals if you want, and to stick with taking your statin unless the side effects you experience outweigh the benefits.

Some nutritionals that may help are:

Garlic (for reduction of cholesterol slightly)
Fish oil capsules or Omega-3 (TG reduction)

Don't forget a low-dose aspirin a day.

I also recommend for anyone a super-b complex daily as well.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My advice would be (sorry Kayla) to never do Atkins, take nutritionals if you want, and to stick with taking your statin unless the side effects you experience outweigh the benefits.
My has been doing Atkins for several years now; he went from the point where his cholestoral and triglycerides were at the point of causing "concern" - as in, "if these don't go down we'll want to take a look at statins next year" to being very, very good.

I think two factors helped him. First, he actually did the Atkins diet, not the parody of it many people seem to do. Second, I'm convinced that genetics play a huge role in what diet (as in, permanent eating plan, not short-term weight loss plan) is best for each individual.

I'm sure Atkins isn't right for everyone. I'm even surer that doing Atkins wrong or part way is more dangerous than many other diets. But a blanket warning against it flies in the face of a lot of people's experience.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Dags, my husbands cholesterol was the same way. It went from 233 to 191 in less than three months.
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad is on lipitor and his numbers are great. He cannot tell when he is taking it. He said he doesn't notice side effects and he goes in to get his liver checked regularly. I didn't ask about sexual disfunction though. [Monkeys]
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.