FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » DallasCon Hotel Info! We have a go! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: DallasCon Hotel Info! We have a go!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry this has taken so long, guys... Thanks for having patience!

We have a place at:

Studio 6
9801 Adleta Court
Dallas, TX

(Directions for those coming from in town later in this post.)

For reservations, call (214) 342-5400 or fax (214) 342-5500. Mention you're with the "Jatraqueros" to ensure a group rate.

It's a nice place, with kitchenettes in each room, so everyone is welcome to save on food by bringing an ice box if you're driving in, or if you're flying, like Rivka, we can probably arrange something. (Rivka, if we're still in town, we will take you around to shop, or we can pick things up for you beforehand. If they stay sealed, they're good, right?) The rooms are BIG. There's definitely sleeping bag room, just probably don't tell them if you plan to do that, since there are only supposed to be two people per room. We don't have a meeting room because I think we'll have plenty of space to congregate. Okay, rates are as follows:

Single queen room: $44 + tax
Single king room: $54 + tax
Double queen room: $69 + tax

I thought that was pretty reasonable; we're getting about $15 a room off regular rates.

Directions from in town:

From 635: Exit # 16 Skillman, right on Adleta Court
From 75: take 635 East to Exit 16, as above
From I-30: 635 West to Exit 16, as above

(Yeah, the directions suck. That's what the hotel gave out. I had a migraine, so Jeff was the one talking to them.)

Anyway, sorry again! Feel free to use this thread to make room arrangements, etc.

I was thinking we'll go out on Saturday night for Indian food, since I promised Rivka, but you all feel free to make plans of any kind you want here.

[ April 27, 2005, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and please post when you've made your reservations, so I can stop worrying.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm driving in, I volunteer to drive anyone anywhere they need to go, provided there's enough room in the car. [Big Grin]

I'm also sleeping-bagging it...so I hope Mrs. Rivka makes reservations soon. [Wink] Us wild women need our rest.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

If you all need more info about traffic patterns, what will be the best way to come in, etc. than you can get from Mapquest, please ask; I'm sure there are plenty of people in town qualified to give directions. Like my husband. Not me. But if you ask, and none of the in-towners are better with directions than I am, I can get his help. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Thank Ketchup Prince Consort; I had a headache from too many hotel calls and stress, he's the one who harassed them until they gave him what we needed. [Smile]
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, thos directions are about as good as they can get... the place is really easy to find.

good Job, KQ!

Edit: apologies for the confusion... someone else was logged in from y computer and I accidentally posted under their name... then deleted and reposted under mine. sorry!

[ April 27, 2005, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh.

So, reverse Jim-Me's and my posts. [Wink]

BTW, since Ketchup Prince Consort and Ketchup Princess will be staying in our room, we're going to have our own this time. It was an absolute blast sharing a room at WenchCon, but we wants our privacies. [Wink] [Big Grin] We may not stay in the hotel the whole time, but we'll be there at least part of the time.

mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
When is Dallas Con?
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Memorial Day Weekend.
Boon
unregistered

The last weekend in May.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Here's a webpage for the place we'll be staying. Please note that we are not supposed to be using sleeping bags according to the site, although I've not heard it directly from the hotel... [Monkeys] So I'd keep that on the down-low if I were you. (I'm pretty sure that's standard hotel policy; someone who's worked in one back me up here. I'm also pretty sure that if they get paid, they won't make a stink about it.)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Just keeping this up. [Smile]
Boon
unregistered

:bounce:

I'm so excited.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yippee!!!

Okay - now I have to decide....

I'm bringing myself, my daughter, and my 17 year old son.

So does that mean I need 2 rooms? Or would it look really strange from my son to stay in the same room with us? Would be so much cheaper with one room, two beds...

Are most of you reserving Friday and Saturday night? Or only Saturday?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's strange at all. He's your son. It's much cheaper. I think it's fine. [Smile]

[ April 27, 2005, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Coccinelle ]

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm planning on sharing a room with all my kids tonight. (We're going to Legoland! [Big Grin] ) Seems perfectly normal to me. [Smile]

Ok, anybody want to share a room with Boon and me? We don't bite . . . [Evil]

kq, thanks for taking care of this! Looks like a really great place, especially at that price.

And of course, it has the most important thing -- computer data ports! [Wink]

Assuming I'm getting in early Friday, I'd be quite happy to support local merchants. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

So do I need to bring ethernet wires? Is that what that means?
rivka
Member # 4859

If they're like all the other hotels I've stayed at that had data ports (like the one we're staying at tonight), they will supply the wires. Usually for free, but it pays to ask.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Just keeping this up.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
[/ooc]
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Confused] Is that some kind of cool internet thing I'm too uncool to get? [Dont Know]
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Faux UBB code for "that belonged in the out of context thread" when I'm too lazy to go post it there.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, okay. Glad that wasn't an... [Taunt]
rivka
Member # 4859

*is always amused when the same TLA means different things in different places*

At the fanfic boards I frequent, OOC means Out Of Character, and is a dire criticism. [Wink]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Something I just noticed looking at the map: this hotel is pretty darned close to the DART Rail system. If there's a station nearby (I think there is, but I'd have to double check), it would be really easy for anyone who wanted to to go downtown and see historical stuff without getting lost. [Smile] Tickets are $2.50 a person for an unlimited day pass.
rivka
Member # 4859

kq, the hotel has or does not have a shuttle? Since it's not mentioned on their site, I assume not. This means you are the shuttle, neh? [Wink]

Ok, so then is it more convenient for me to fly in on Alaska Air, arriving just before noon; or on AirTran, getting in just after 1 pm? Prices are the same (down to the penny).

Also, does anyone know anything about AirTran? Alaska has a good rep, although I've never flown them. The other one I don't think I know anything about.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, Coccinelle and I will be handling the transportation between us. Actually, Coccinelle and Jeff and I, because I don't drive near the airport unless I'm suicidal. Coccinelle is working that day, so I'd assume that would be us. [Smile] (Jeff will have quit the job he's at by then, and we will be able to pick you up. Period. Non-negotiable.

If something changes, you may be picked up by my mother-in-law. [Wink] Don't worry, it won't happen.)

Either is fine. Alaska is great; I fly them as much as possible. They are very service-oriented, and very good about being on-time. I've never flown AirTran, but they have a reputation for delays, which I have an inkling you may not appreciate.

Oh, and that's right, we nixed the shuttle because only two, or maybe just you, are coming in by plane. And Jeff is a willing slave. Er, um... servant.

[ April 28, 2005, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

rivka
Member # 4859

*snort* Ok, Alaska wins over the unknown, then.

I shall book post-haste. [Big Grin]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Awesome. E-mail me when you have flight info. [Smile]

*dances* Rivka's coming to see us! Woo-hoo!

[ April 28, 2005, 03:14 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

rivka
Member # 4859

[ROFL] [Laugh] [ROFL]

Ah, the weirdnesses of air travel. Turns out, I can't reserve seats on their website. Why? It's not actually their flight, it's American's.

So I checked out American, where the EXACT SAME RESERVATION would cost me about 1.5 times as much.

I booked with Alaska, natch. And I will forward you the itinerary shortly.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That is weird. [Dont Know] We've had American-Alaska flights with a layover in between, but that's just strange.

Anyway, you're coming! [Party]

rivka
Member # 4859

Indeed. I have, like a confirmation number and everything!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Like, wow! If I had a confirmation number, I'd be so totally stoked. [ROFL]

I am up waaaay too late.

rivka
Member # 4859

You so are.

And considering that I'm supposed to be chipper in the morning for Legoland, so am I.

Email sent. [Smile]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mention you're with the "Jatraqueros" to ensure a group rate.
*cough* Ummm...... are we pronouncing that as "Hatrackers" when we call? Or did you put some Spanish/Portugese spin/accent on the word that I will murder if I try to say it on the phone?
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I'm so glad this is set. I do have work on Friday and possibly Saturday morning, and I'm not yet sure if I'm getting a room for Friday or not. My apartment is about one and a half miles from the hotel, though. I could totally make a pancake and/or omelet breakfast for everyone on Sunday.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That would be teh awesome, Katie! You're so sweet!

FG, since it was my husband on the phone who finally got through to the manager yesterday, he probably said "hat-rack-arrows". He did mention that both people he spoke to had heavy accents, and you might just have to spell it. [Wink]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

To the top of the page, to the top of the board--
DallasCon's coming up and we're all looking forward!

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure there *is* a DART station very close by on the BLue Line. check www.dart.org to be sure.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

There must be; the hotel's website claims there is public transportation within half a mile.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That could mean bus, though.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We can't figure it out from maps available online (the one at the DART site is TINY); my husband is going to drive by tomorrow. [Smile]
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a bus stop on the block, but the train station is ony 1-2 blocks down the road if I recall correctly. Let me check... yep LBJ/Skillman station- 9931 Adelta Ct- .3 miles down the road.

I loved riding the train when I lived in Dallas. I wish one went up here [Smile]

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

hrmm.. Dart and Yahoo have conflicting views on where this station lies. I'm inclined to think that Dart might be more accurate about the placement of the station, but you never know.

In any case, it is in walking distance.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, Jeff will go by and see how close it really is. [Smile] You're cool, Coccinelle. I suck at map stuff. When we were out in CA once, I was adamantly telling Jeff, "Go west. No, west! WEST!" "I AM going west!" *I look at map* "Oh, sorry. East. My mistake."

His mother was in the back seat, cracking up. Or rather, trying not to. [Wink]

Coccinelle
Member # 5832

You know, east and west I can do, but don't ever believe me if I tell you to turn left. Anyone who's driven with me giving directions before will always ask me, "Which Left?"

I blame it on being a leftie. You know in elem school they taught me that the hand you write with is your right hand. Yeah, someone should have figured out that it didn't work for everyone.

rivka
Member # 4859

It looks like the discount they are giving us is their standard discount -- the same one they give AAA members, or those booking online. I assume it's still better to book on the phone with our group, so we will be grouped together.

But the two-bed room for $69/night I'm seeing has two full beds, not two queens. For most people that shouldn't matter, but in case it does . . . ?

rivka
Member # 4859

I'm sure I linked to this in the other thread, but I'm excited about the added bit:
quote:
NEW in Dallas & Fort Worth: Albertsons is the only place to get DK kosher dairy certified Krispy Kreme doughnuts!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Dont Know] They said queen, I have no clue which is right.

Shall we get you some Krispy Kremes for our special breakfast Sun.?

Or just to snack on? [Big Grin]

*hates Krispy Kremes*

rivka
Member # 4859

Dunno, the Tom Thumb is closer to the hotel and has a kosher bakery. I just noticed, and I like Krispy Kreme and rarely get 'em.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.