FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Computer Techies of Hatrack, Help?

Author Topic: Computer Techies of Hatrack, Help?
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I am a software engineer and have a computer science degree, but the fields of programming and actual tech support are miles apart. I know very little about how to troubleshoot a computer.

That out of the way, here is the scoop. We are now setting up internet at our new apartment. We got Cox high speed internet service, with a "quick-install" kit along with a brand new cable modem.

I have had trouble hooking up the internet to my computer through someones ethernet connection, so I decided to try going the USB route.

So I connect the modem to my computer (after setting up the modem as instructed) through a USB cable. My computer (I use Windows XP Pro) brought up the screen that says it can find the software for the new hardware automatically. I take it up on the offer, it finds it and it says the new hardware has been installed.

All the appropriate lights on the modem are okay, so I open Mozilla. Nothing.

I load up the disk that came with the modem, and run through the guided installation thingy. It takes me through how to connect the cables and such, and I have already done this part. So it gets to a point where it says that it is attempting to connect the modem to the computer. It sits there for 5+ minutes before giving up and asking me to check the cables (they are all tight).

I call tech support, and they have me check the Network Connections in the control panel. It has a connection for the cable modem. He instructs me to right click and do a "repair". It throws an error message saying it was unable to retrieve an IP. We go into the console and run ipconfig. After autoconfiguration IP (or something similar) the IP address started with a 169. and some digits after that. He says that is the default IP, and it should be getting a different one.

We go into Device Manager, and into the cable modem's properties and click update driver. It now runs through the autodetect of XP and gives me a choice of three driver files. Two on the disk and one on my computer. We choose one of the ones on the disk, and it installs.

(I should mention that at some point we checked out a settings dialog which had the correct "automatically find an IP" or something similar)

We go back to the repair, and IP config, but they are the same as they were.

He goes and puts me on hold for a minute and goes to talk to someone. He says upon his return that something is very strange, since they can detect the modem is hooked up correctly from their lab, and my computer sees the modem well enough to install drivers, but that the computer can't seem to get an IP from the modem.

He has no idea how that could be, and has reached the end of his abilities. After the phone call, I tried to get it working with an ethernet connection, but its the same problem. It can't seem to get an IP.

So now I have no idea what to do. What could be causing this?

Could it be a virus? I have no virus protection, and have been on the internet a lot with my computer, so I undoubtably have a virus. If signs do point to virus, will getting virus protection (such as Norton or McGaffee) remove the virus or just prevent others from getting in? I could always reformat, but thats not something I want to do unless its a last resort, and I have never reformatted a computer.

My computer I built myself (so no warrantee or tech support).

If its not a virus, and we can't fix it ourselves, should I bring it somewhere? Where should I bring it, and how much would it run?

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
What previous internet access did you use, and do you use a VPN to connect to anything (such as your work network)?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

I was hooked up to a roommates cable modem in California and it worked fine. Then in Omaha at our old apartment, and it stopped working after a couple weeks of being fine. We thought it was the router or the cable, but when I hooked it up to the modem directly it still didn't work. I thought there was either something wrong with my ethernet card or it was a virus...

Edit: Have never used VPN.

[ April 27, 2005, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Any ideas? Some sort of tribal dance? Set the thing on fire?

[Frown]

DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure the modem works?
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure the modem works? You mentioned things are plugged into the modem/PC are tight. How about the wall for the modem?
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

Are you sure the modem works? You mentioned things are plugged into the modem/PC are tight. How about the wall for the modem?
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

Your modem could be bad, just a thought. I know they go bad all the time
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

Your modem could be bad, just a thought. I know they go bad all the time
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

I think I would try a new modem first, or at least one that you know works
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
That's too funny DK.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
So, this "Quick Install Kit" already knows that you're using Cox as your ISP and configures your connection accordingly?
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

The tech support guy said that they could detect the modem from his end, so its into the wall just fine. We have another modem lying around which we tried first (and had it activated) but it wasn't working (though it was only ethernet I tried with it since it didn't have the USB software).

I don't think its the modem.

Xavier
Member # 405

It was my understanding that the computer would automatically obtain an IP address from the cable modem because...

Somehow (either through the device manager or the network connections, I forget) I checked the properties of the TCP/IP connection. It brought up a dialog box with "Obtain an IP address automatically" selected. Found a picture of it here.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Before any of the major stuff, you could just try power cycling the modem and computer. See if you can get any kind of connection. Are you getting packets moving in both directions?

Also, if you have to, reformatting isn't that big a deal but I've found that just reinstalling Windows every 6 months or so helps.

There are some free virus scan programs that will check your system and eliminate whatever you may have picked up.

Try housecall trend micro, and panda antivirus.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
If you go to the properties of that network connection, what items are listed? (TCP/IP and the like)
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Before any of the major stuff, you could just try power cycling the modem and computer. See if you can get any kind of connection. Are you getting packets moving in both directions?

Also, if you have to, reformatting isn't that big a deal but I've found that just reinstalling Windows every 6 months or so helps.

There are some free virus scan programs that will check your system and eliminate whatever you may have picked up.

Try housecall trend micro, and panda antivirus.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you say you replaced the ethernet card? I've never tried using a usb connection to a cable modem, but I have had interesting experiences with usb connections to other appliances being a bit dicey sometimes. I'd be more apt to replace the ethernet card (they're cheap) and try an ethernet connection.

Also, don't know about your cable company, but with mine, you have to register your cable modem the first time you hook it up. Like, I replaced mine a year or so after the initial hookup because the one they gave me was older than dirt and had a faulty (proprietary) power cable that was entertaining as all get out. A little tired of being quite that entertained, I bought a nice shiney new one. I thought I could just plug it in and run, but no, I had to call the cable company and they walked me through registering the cable modem. No big deal and it's worked ever since.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Reformatting and installing windows? No, I don't think that is an appropriate recommendation at this point. My copy of XP has been running fine for two years with no hitches that I couldn't fix with diligent searching and careful troubleshooting techniques. Reformatting and reinstalling windows is a trick that inexperienced techs use to hide their lack of knowledge and inablility to solve complex (and simple!) issues effectively.

X,

Have you tried powercycling the cable modem? This happens all the time when I do a new install at a friend's house when they just get cable internet access. About 33% of the time I forget that a powercycle and renewed IP address usually fixes the problem and I end up agonizing over the issue for hours when it's really quite simple.

I'm going to recommend you install the cable modem with the ethernet card since I never use the USB option and can't really provide advice from experience with that kind of install.

Here's what I would do: Powercycle the modem (and by this I mean unplug the power on the thing for at least a minute and then plug it back in) wait a few minutes and then open up a command prompt and enter "ipconfig." If you see an IP address, gateway information, and subnet that looks unfamiliar (ie. not 192.168.*.*) you should be made in the shade. If it says "Media Disconnected" or something to that effect, then check all of your connections. If the IP address is 0.0.0.0 then keep entering "ipconfig" until you see something different.

If it continues to give you a local IP, run ipconfig with the /renew switch (ie "ipconfig /renew" at the command prompt). This should force Windows to poll for a new IP address.

I'm not expecting any of this stuff to work necessarily, but it will eliminate the simplest of things. Let me know what you get.

[ April 27, 2005, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Primal Curve ]

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
you said that you have the cable modem connected through USB. You mentioned that you have an ethernet card...so why don't you just connect the modem to your ethernet card via an ethernet cable?

Also, are you sure your modem is plugged into a working cable jack? Sometimes you might have a jack that no longer works...or has been shut off. I had that problem when I first moved into my appartment, I ended up having to use a different jack.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Hey guys!

I'm posting this from home, so you can guess that I've got it working.

I decided to reformat. Bingo, it worked. I knew there were viruses running around on my computer for months now, so it was past due. I didn't back anything up, because there was nothing I couldn't live without, but, I'm still kind of wincing when I think of all the stuff I lost.

I hope this is worth it. I need to get some anti-virus software pronto.

Anyway, thanks to all you guys who tried to help me. I think I'll print out this page for future reference.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.