FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Robotic Exoskeleton Nearing Commercial Release

Author Topic: Robotic Exoskeleton Nearing Commercial Release
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool stuff!. I've linked to articles on the same technology before, of course, but what's cool here is that they're going to be on the market soon. The mark 4 and 5 prototypes allow a person to life 40 kg more than they can unassisted. Let this technology mature for a few years and it'll undoubtedly be more. Finally I can begin assembling my superhero outfit!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
They're calling it HAL?!? [Angst]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Heh. Yeah, I had the same reaction to that. Might not be an auspicious name, eh?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
That's so very cool. It seems to me there is a lot of recent breakthroughs or releases of new technology. I love it.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

The other thing this made me think of was MechAssault. [Razz]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
*snickers* At least I'm not the only one. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I don't mean to belittle the development, I think it's awesome. But how long, really, will it be before someone mounts guns on one of those things? [Razz]
TMedina
Member # 6649

You're joking, right? Five bucks says the first sale goes to the US Military or a defense contractor.

http://www.computercrowsnest.com/sfnews/newsb0201.htm

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I assume the U.S. military is developing a bigger, badder one on its own. [Smile]
Noemon
Member # 1115

There's no doubt that this will have military applications. The first models probably won't be rugged enough, but give the technology a few generations to mature and combat uses are pretty much a given.
twinky
Member # 693

I'm sorry, I just can't get the image of duelling Mechs out of my mind...
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm waiting for Nintendo to buy the patent and make it a feature of their new gaming system.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

[ROFL]
TMedina
Member # 6649

I'm sure the US is trying to develop one, but I haven't heard any stories about a successful prototype.

This fellow is about to unveil a fully functional commercial release which sounds like its leaps and bounds ahead of anything the US Military has either developed on their own or successfully commissioned.

Feh - strap that sucker with kevlar and you've got a light tank that would make most SWAT units sit up and beg.

-Trevor

Noemon
Member # 1115

Trevor, you realize that the fact that the general public hasn't heard about a piece of military technology doesn't mean that that piece of technology doesn't exist, right?
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else feel like the next big technology jump for things in this area will have to be a replacment for the chemical battery?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

We definitely need one, if only for environmental reasons...

Hm. Now there's a field I could go into...

TMedina
Member # 6649

[Big Grin]

Thanks Noeman.

"Has not seen a successful military deployment in any overt theatre of operations or in any functioning capacity insofar as the general public is aware."

However, as a general rule of thumb, I don't give the US military much credit for developing functional weapons systems first time out and then not trumpeting their success.

-Trevor

Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Has not seen a successful military deployment in any overt theatre of operations or in any functioning capacity insofar as the general public is aware.
Well okay then! [Big Grin]

How long was the stealth bomber around before its existence was known to the general public? Honest question--I really don't know the answer. I thought, though, that it had been around for quite a while.

twinky
Member # 693

Every time I see this thread title I hear mech sounds.

*tromp tromp tromp*

*pause*

*fwoosh!* *kablooie*

TMedina
Member # 6649

It's entirely possible - but stealth fighters/bombers are, by their very nature, hard to detect at the best of times considering how they are utilized.

Imagine trying to use a new tank and not having reports trickle out. I have a hard time believing that something as "in your face" as an armored gorilla wouldn't raise eyebrows and start tounges wagging as soon as it lumbered out.

-Trevor

Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, that's a point, although the military has been pretty successful at keeping journalists from running free in Iraq. Still, I doubt that such a system has actually been deployed in combat yet, even if it exists.
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But how long, really, will it be before someone mounts guns on one of those things?
Guns, that's a given, but I'd like to see some light armor mounted on them.

For... safety reasons. Obviously.

...what?

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...a new field called cybernics
New field? Cybernics? Try Cybernetics, a concept that has existed in Sci-Fi for one hell of a long time, and which this would fall under! New field my arse... [Grumble]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

[ROFL]

Yeah, I kept twitching at that one - I was wondering how they could have made the same typo so many times. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

TMedina
Member # 6649

Noeman - not successful enough, although the insurgents are doing their best to dissuade curious reporters. [Evil]

-Trevor

Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
This is what exoskeletons make me think of. [Smile]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Robot suit will help quadriplegic scale the heights

quote:
A Japanese quadriplegic plans to climb to the peak of a Swiss mountain by riding piggyback on a mountaineer who will get some extra muscle from a robot suit.

Seiji Uchida, 43, will take a cable car to within striking distance of the Breithorn's summit before attempting the daylong trek this August, said Shinichiro Saigo, business manager of the With Dreams organisation that Uchida founded to support the expedition.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

That's fantastic!
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the exact amount of years but the stealth aircraft were around for quite a few years (5-10 I think) before the general public found out.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
All I keep thinking about are people dying more quickly because they bought one of these and their muscles atrophed from lack of use.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't spend thousands on a metal exo-skeleton suit.

Buy a gym membership.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Phil! And don't forget about Logan. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Just great! You just know someone's gonna perfect this for industrial applications, then some shady government agency will send a mission to bring back some of those leathery eggs full of face suckers and we'll be up to our armpits in aliens.

DO WE REALLY WANT TO GO DOWN THIS ROAD?

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.