FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How to trees know it's spring?

Author Topic: How to trees know it's spring?
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
And not just trees, but plants in general?
What senses do they have? What kind of chemical things are going on?

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Changes in sunlight and ambient temperature?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
This should answer some of your questions.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the site Boon.

Every spring I watch the trees and think about that. Mmmm... Viriditas.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
What senses do plants have? Well they can generally sense heat and light. Many, if not most, can sense gravity. Morning-glory and many other vining plants have a rudimentary sense of touch. If you are patient, you can literally watch a morning-glory reach out a tendril, sweep it out in an arc until it hits a fence rail or other support, then wrap itself around the support so it can climb as it grows.

As for spring, different plants know in different ways, but as KoM said, it's mostly due to changes in light and temperature. You can "force" spring bulbs into thinking it's spring by planting them in a pot and keeping it in the fridge for 6-8 weeks. If you do this in Oct-Nov, you can take the pot out of the fridge near the end of December and have tulips in January/Feb. When you take the pot out, keep in inside near a sunny window. The light and the warmth of the house will make the tulips think it is Springtime already.

On the other hand, many houseplants come from tropical regions where there aren't such clearly defined seasons. These will generally grow year round if given sufficient light and warmth because they haven't evolved to go dormant during cold weather or shorter days.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
No, the real answer is : they are all connected to Internet, and look Yahoo informations.

Sorry... [Big Grin]

[ April 07, 2005, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: Choobak ]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
In my high school AP Biology class, I did my research project on plant hormones. They're absolutely fascinating. Plants bend toward the light because there are hormones that are light-shy and induce growth; so they cluster on the side of the stem away from the sun and cause those cells to elongate, bending the stem towards the light.

There are hormones that sense gravity, and this is how roots know to grow down and shoots know to grow up. Round Up (the herbicide) works by interrupting these hormones. Watch a recently sprayed dandelion - its stems are twisting because it doesn't know which way to grow.

There are hormones that sense photoperiod and cause plants to bloom (as in the forced bulbs that Karl mentioned) or ripen or die (as in falling leaves). Poinsettias have to have twelve hours of light and twelve hours of dark for several months or else the bracts don't turn red.

It's crazy, ain't it?

Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The tree is a little behind, but that doesn't mean it can't learn. With a little extra instruction, he should be up with the rest of his class.

Have you tried singing Popcorn Popping yet? That's how our orchard knew it was spring. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
NTLB No Tree Left Behind
Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
This makes me think of a conversation I had with Nathan recently.

Nathan. "I really like maple syrup. But the REAL kind."

Me. "It's okay."

Nathan. "I LOVE getting the real kind."

Me. "Yeah."

Him. "It's GREAT."

Me. "You DO realize that you now live where maple syrup comes from, right?"

Him. "Oh YEAH. Trees!"

...maple sugaring is boring as hell. [Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Telp, I was sure this was going to be some kind of "I'm happy and in love" post - I mean, our very own Silver Tree starts a thread asking how trees know it's spring, and it's a serious question? *shakes head*

Ah well, I sure hope you're enjoying spring, even if that's not why you posted. [Smile]

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
adam613, are the other trees waking up and yours is just behind? If so you've probably discovered a "micro-climate". That's an area that is consistently a few weeks ahead or behind the general climate of you area. For instance, a tree planted close to the north side of a building might not bloom for a couple of weeks after the local trees have all bloomed.

I saw petunias blooming well after the first frost in Baltimore, but they were growing on the south side of an apartment building (full sun) and under the dryer exhaust vent for the complex (which was practically 24/7 in use).

We had snapdragons, which are treated as annuals, normally, over-winter in our front yard in Baltimore because they were on a southern exposure, next to a wall that got full sun all day and radiated the heat back out all night. The plant turned brown and the tops of the branches died, but in the spring it woke up and was blooming weeks ahead of schedule.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.