FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pope John Paul II Dies at 84

Author Topic: Pope John Paul II Dies at 84
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Pope John Paul II Dies at 84
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] [Cry] [Cry]
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for my thread...
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I just put my flag up at half-mast.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
He was a man as well as a Pope, and my thoughts are with all those who loved him. The passing of an era indeed.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
A great man passes.
Fear and hope mix with sadness.
Today's world changes.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

picture of mourning from Rome on Flickr
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
He was a very complex guy. I may not have agreed with everything he said and did (and I did actually do so for a lot of it), but the world is definitely a poorer place without him in it. On the other hand, he was 84. He had a pretty good run and a life I think he didn't regret. <edited because it came across as insensitive>It's sad that he died, but all in all, he got a comparatively good deal.<Crap, I don't know if that's any better. Just see my explanation post below.>

[ April 02, 2005, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't always agree with his ideas, but I believe he is a person who almost always did what he thought was best for the world. For that, I salute him.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
edit: removed in response to Squick's explanation.

[ April 02, 2005, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough, I meant that to be comforting. We all die. He died relatively easily after a long, fulfilling life. I consider that comforting and something to be grateful for. It helped me deal with the death of some people of the people I love. If it's still offensive when put in that context, I'll take it out. I wasn't trying to rub salt in the wound.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Another photo from Rome, thanks to Pietro on Flickr.

quote:
Indeed he was a loved pope. People of all religions are here. I now understand why he refused to step down of the office. You could see
him getting smaller and smaller. Near his cross bigger and bigger.

Somehow he refused to hide old age, illness. He kept on entering in all houses. Sometimes just asking for peace. I was amazed by how many
people were touched by his last days. When he started i was eight. I remember how much he was criticized for taking all those trips around
the globe. But somehow he was really a man for the whole world. And the whole world is here. You who are reading me are here through me.

R. I. P.

[ April 02, 2005, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that he was suffering a lot toward the end. It makes me smile to think that he's now in a painless state...but that won't make the world miss him any less. He was a wonderful man.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

More pictures, mostly black and white, from when Karol Wojtyla was a young man. Some stills from acting photos, and a nice one of when he attended the funeral of the previous Pope, as yet unkowing that he would be the successor.

[ April 03, 2005, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
(Karol) [Smile]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

(gracias, dollface [Kiss] )
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

with Pope Jean Paul I

shaving at a campsite [Smile]

as a young man, in profile

a little tyke

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.