FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Koran scholar: US will cease to exist in 2007

Author Topic: Koran scholar: US will cease to exist in 2007
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh…. Glad I live higher up in the hills of West Virginia.
Koran scholar: US will cease to exist in 2007

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I live higher up in the hills of West Virginia
<snicker>
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting how it was predicted to happen in two years. By then, nobody will remember that he made the prediction.

People believe in Nostradamus and the Bible code, too. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
People believe in Nostradamus and the Bible, too.
There, fixed that for you.

[Razz]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
*thwaps twinky*
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Hey, it is National Athiests Day (even if twinky isn't a citizen of our nation).
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
O_O
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*thwaps twinky*
[Big Grin]

Yeah, I deserved that. I'm in a bit of a goofy mood today...

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Digression: Jay, where, more or less?

Couple years back my wife Teresa, her brother and I rented a cabin in West Virginia for Christmas week so my kids could see snow for the first time. Beautiful, beautiful area.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Trying to get this next to "I don't care..."
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Grafton. It’s just south of Morgantown and east of Clarksburg in the north central part. Home of Mother’s Day and Tygart Dam.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I didn't know Koran scholars (well, the Jerusalem Post in this case) celebrated April Fool's Day...

EDIT: Aww, it was posted three days ago. Guess they are serious then.

[ April 01, 2005, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Architraz Warden ]

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
So I should cash out my IRA, then?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Gives new meaning to "Surfin' USA!"

Cowabunga!

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
So I should cash out my IRA, then?
Just remember, since you're cashing out your qualified retirement plan before the age of 59.5, you'll incur a 10% penalty on top of regular income taxes on the distribution.

<is studying for his Series 6>

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
<is studying for his Series 6>
Really? Then is it worth it to convert our IRAs to Roth IRAs? We'd owe quite a bit in tax on them, and I'm not sure if the difference is worth the time value of the money we'd have to pay to do the conversion.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Why? What kind of tax bracket are you in? Why do you feel you need tax free withdrawals upon retirement? The only other advantage is the fact that you don't incur a 50% penalty at age 70.5 if you haven't had any disbursements before that time.

Roth IRAs:
quote:
Created in 1997, Roth IRAs allow after-tax (nondeductible) contributions of up to $4,000 per individual and $8,000 per couple, split between two accounts. Earnings accumulate tax deferred as in typical IRA accounts. The advantage of these IRAs is that distributions that satisfy holding period requrements are not taxable.

Penalty-free withdrawals may begin after the money has been within a Roth IRA at least five years and the IRA owner is at least 59.5 years of age. The 10% early distribution penalty is waived for death, disability, and first-time homebuyers buying a principal residence. Withdrawals from Roth IRAs are not required to commence at age 70.5.

(edit: to update maximum IRA contributions for tax year 2005)

[ April 01, 2005, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Primal Curve ]

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Oh, and...
quote:
Really?
Yes, really. I got out of the limited-service lodging industry as fast as my feet could take me. I am now working for a retirement services company as a registered representative. I take my Series 6 test next Tuesday.

I've had to study my little butt off just to get to where I am now. Before this point, I knew little to nothing about securities, mutual funds and retirement accounts. My head is now full of this stuff and I'm finding it fascinating- if somewhat dull. It's almost making me get interested in business law (not that I'd ever get into a law school so that I could study it).

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

*invests heavily in fisheries futures* [Razz]
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
From THE REVELATION OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE in the Bible I get the idea that a meteor is going to fall in the ocean and wipe out one-third of the world's coastal areas, one-third of the world's ocean-going vessels, and one-third of the world's population.

Then there is the prophecy of "the waves of the sea heaving themselves beyond their bounds" in the last days.

Perhaps this Koran scholar is onto something. It's nice to have a timeframe, so we can get ready.

I think if God wanted to destroy wicked people, the coastal areas would be a good place to start. I'm not just thinking of the Neverland Ranch either. Fleshpots like Singapore, conspiring banks in Hong Kong and Manhattan, oil companies and other worldwide rapists of the environment and enslavers of people, they're all located on the coasts.

That leaves good ole farmers in the heartland to pick up the pieces.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
<--- lives in Iowa.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

*buys waders*
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
What the dude neglected to mention was where all the water was coming from: the Greenland and Antarctic ice caps.
The melting of which will flood 100% of the dark green areas.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Permit me to point out that any environmental cataclysm large enough to destroy the US is seriously going to screw with the rest of the world.

Geeze, just look at McDonald's.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Ok, WV isn't a dark green area. Whew...

Guess home values will go up.

Cool.

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, suddenly you'll be sitting on beachfront property.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Why couldn't the wave come up the Mississippi Delta?

Seems to me that only Colorado and Montana are safe. [Wink]

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That would wipe out a lot of South America and Europe.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Fortunately, the Earth's gravitation and the viscosity and available quantity of sea water places a practical limit on the height of waves that God can create...unless you are one of those religious fanatics that believes that God can produce anything in infinitely large dimensions.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Well, if you accept that God did create the Universe and has infinite Power, it seems plausible there's a few tricks we haven't seen yet.

Unless you believe God must obey the rules He put into play, like physics.

Of course, I'm sure there are still a few tricks we haven't seen yet.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like it would wipe out virtually all of the grain producing regions of the world, really.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I've had to study my little butt off just to get to where I am now. Before this point, I knew little to nothing about securities, mutual funds and retirement accounts. My head is now full of this stuff and I'm finding it fascinating- if somewhat dull. It's almost making me get interested in business law (not that I'd ever get into a law school so that I could study it).
Very cool. And if you get some solid securities experience, you have a good shot at getting into law school. You just need a Bachelor's degree and then to study your tookus off for the LSATs. Work experience begins to trump GPA after a few years.

Good luck on the test.

Dagonee
P.S., the "really" wasn't meant to convey disbelief but rather sudden acquisition of knowledge. [Smile]

Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Trevor, I am [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]
That was great.

edit: to include reference to what I was [ROFL] ing at, since it has been moved to the appropriate page.

[ April 01, 2005, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Brian J. Hill ]

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Whoops - that was also seriously misplaced in the wrong thread.

My apologies to anyone I inadvertently offended.

-Trevor

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Thanks, I'll need it. The company I'm working for has had high turnover because their reps can't pass the 6. Consequently, another new rep and I were thrown into a pilot program where we just sit around the office all day and study for the exam. In exchange, they don't give us as much time to study (three weeks instead of three months) and we only get two chances to pass instead of three (though they want us to do it on the first try). I was ready to take the test earlier this week, but I could only get it scheduled for next. The waiting is driving me nuts.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.