FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » html knowledge needed

Author Topic: html knowledge needed
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the process of making a simple site right now. The webhosting provider does not allow SSI code.

Is there a way to do something similar to SSI so I don't have to manually change the navigation panel, top logo, and footer of each and every one of my pages any time i want to change the layout of my site or add a link to my navigation panel?

[ March 29, 2005, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Editing html in anything but emacs is heresy.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It's possible to have everything as include files and "batch" include it (kind of like compiling, or, even more precisely, preprocessing) each time you change one. The downside is you have to republish every page whenever you change a footer, but you only have to edit one file.

I can't remember the name of the tool, though.

[ March 29, 2005, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
is php code enabled?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Easiest way to do what Dagonee's suggesting is to generate the pages however you want on the webserver of your choice, then use wget to pull the pages, then upload them to the webserver.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I think I found a way to do it using dreamweaver templates. But like Dagonee said, I'll still have to re-upload every page everytime I make a change.

Better than having to change every page individually AND still have to upload all of them.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you just change webhosts? They're a dime a dozen.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Normally I would. Yet there's a good reason that for this site I can't, which is too long to go into at the moment.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.