FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I know you're sick of my self-indulgent posts, but I want to share....

Author Topic: I know you're sick of my self-indulgent posts, but I want to share....
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I took my first "big" test since re-starting college - a 100 question mid-term - and I just got my grade back.

I made a 94!

This was a big deal for me - my self-confidence about school has been wavering - I wanted to believe I could be successful but after re-starting with such a low GPA and with such a long fight ahead until I'll have the grades I will need to qualify for grad school I was afraid I wouldn't be able to cut it. Especially after coming off several years of fighting depression and ADD, I just wasn't sure I could do it.

This one success has really boosted my confidence. Yeah, I know it's only one mid-term in a freshman level history course, and there's lots of hard work for me still ahead, but right now I've got A's in all three classes I'm taking and that will go a long way toward getting my GPA back up over a 3.0.

My birth father also visited over the weekend - and I had one of the best visits with him since we got back in touch last year. We really were more comfortable around each other, and I think there's now genuine love and caring for each other and the awkwardness of "Who is this person who is supposed to be my father?" is over.

Heck we even had political discussions without any bloodshed! (my father is a left coast liberal, if you can believe it. He calls himself the only democratic officer in the army. [Big Grin] )

I'm feeling on top of the world today. I had to share with my 'racker friends. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*shuns Belle forever for sharing too much personal information on hatrack*

[Wink]

Congrats!

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
huzzah!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go, Belle!

[The Wave]

we're proud of you!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
We aren't sick of them... which reminds me... How's the church situation going?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

AJ, still in limbo.

There's still a great deal of discussion going back and forth between the elders and us - they are well aware that we are uncomfortable with the push for doctrinal change, but they don't want to lose us. We are a small church, and our family has made significant contributions (not talking monetary here, talking about missions and serving) and it's still complicated.

One person we really trust asked Wes if he was grateful for the good education and solid grounding in doctrine he received as a child - and he said yes. They then asked why he was compromising his own children's education by taking them to a church that is teaching doctrine contary to our own. That really made him think - maybe we need to change churches.

But at the same time, we hate to take our kids to a church more than 30 miles away where they won't be attending with anyone they know and will have a hard time bulding up good relationships with people.

The openess and willingness of the church leadership to discuss things with us, and to consider our opinions (and those that agree with us, we aren't the only family that is resistant to changing the doctrine) is encouraging - they aren't just taking a stance that "We're changing things and those that don't like it can just leave."

So...we're still waiting things out I think.

It's frustrating - I find myself not very motivated to go to church. I do find myself very motivated to read the Bible, study, and learn - but I just don't feel like going to the church and being around the people there. That's not a good sign. Maybe things will change when they finally sort out this doctrinal issue. Or when we hire a new permanent pastor. I don't know.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
And don't worry about making too many self-indulgent posts - we always have the option not to read them. [Wink]

-Trevor

Edit: P.S. - Congrats on the grade! [Big Grin]

[ March 29, 2005, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! The first verification that you're swimming in manageable waters is always good.

Keep up the good work!

[ March 29, 2005, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Good job!!!

I hope clarity on your church situation comes soon.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*Hugs* well it least it the controversy has calmed down, even if resolution hasn't been reached.

After my parents left the church that we were heavily involved in, we remained attending that Awana Club youth group for a while. Then we switched to another local one,since the church we attended on sunday was 30 minutes away. But the local one had a lot of people we already knew. It was a workable compromise, and lasted for quite a while. (About 5 years, until my parents wounds had healed enough that they could look somewhere local again.)

Though I suspect Natalie would have the roughest time as far as new friendships go. The younger ones will be able to come in at a less "established" time when the hierarchy isn't as clearly spelled out.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for you slamming your test! [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, no, actually, I'm not sick of your self-indulgent posts, as you call them. [Dont Know] But I am proud of you for doing so well on your exams! [Big Grin] Yay, Belle!!!!!! [Party]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, I love to hear about your triumphs! No matter how small you think they might be, they are giant steps in the right direction. I am proud of you. I really need to get back to school. See, you inspire!
I also like to read about your church search (ooh! a rhyme!). I am a seeker, too, and it gives me hope.
Congratulations on doing so well on your test. It's the first of many!
Oh, and tell your birth father that he's not the *only* liberal officer in the Army. Pretty darn close, though. *grin*
((Belle))

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.