FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Way to stick it to the man

Author Topic: Way to stick it to the man
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I would not even use this. I only get a few channels as is and FOX is the only station that shows the races right now. Darn Easter took away today's race. [Grumble]
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I know the point is the protest, not the actual function...but why not just avoid the channel? That's what I do.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
What are you discussing?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
click the [Roll Eyes] , Teshi.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Click on the guy rolling his eyes. [Smile]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Oh! I never seem to pick up on those smily-links.

That man is just trying to make money. If you don't like Fox don't watch it; simple and for no extra cost! Seriously, people!

*sigh*

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with him though. Fox News is about as baised as it gets. And the ratings say nothing as a defense against that acusation. Tabloids get read plenty, doesn't mean they aren't total BS. I dunno that thats the best way to go about making a point. But if they aren't listening, it might just work. And its not about having an argument or a discussion. A discussion involves fact... which is disturbingly lacking from Fox News.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Oh, I agree with what he says, but I'm wary of his methods.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Why pay for something to block out a station you can avoid just by not clicking on it?

It only makes sense if people use it for sabotage. You buy one, casually visit a friend's house, "oh hey, where's that thing you wanted to show me?" the friend leaves the room, in one quick movement you zip behind their TV and BAM, no more Fox News.

Bringing peace to America one home at a time.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Technically, all the news channels are biased much more than they should be. I'd like to have something that just blocks all of them. Can I get one of those?
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

How about we just have a news channel that.. *SHOCK* ...does what its supposed to do and doesn't give ANY opinion or spin and reports bland facts. Oh wait, that'd be *BORING* to most of the sensationalist american public and would go broke.

Some days I just really hate the US... and the world for that matter.

TO MARS! The grass is always... well non-existant on the other side of the vacuume.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't get why you need to buy something like this. I blocked MTV, and a bunch of other channels I didn't want my kids seeing and it was very simple to do. Now, when you enter those channel numbers, it takes you to a screen that says the channel is blocked and it can only be overridden by a password.

So, I really don't see the point - except that it helps someone make money on a useless item. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

The point is a protest. To send a message to Fox saying "Either give us flat facts or stop calling it news". The price is probably just the price of the making the device, though I can't say that for sure. He may indeed be just trying to make money, but just cause the device is basically useless in the practical sense, doesn't mean its useless in all senses or that he's just a jerk trying to make money.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
See I think it would have been effective as a campaign to tell people to block Fox News. Or selling bumper stickers for 20 cents each.

To me, you lose the power of your message when you begin cashing in on it.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that it has any bearing on this device, but I felt like pointing out that not all TVs can block individual channels.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's hard to turn FOX News off when the channel selector doesn't work and an armed guard is constantly watching to make sure you don't pull the plug.

[ March 28, 2005, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

What do you mean, aspectre?
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
It's yet another "pet rock": useless but cute/funny enough to give as a gag gift.
In this case, to those who complain about or praise FOX News.

[ March 28, 2005, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm...I'd like to attatch one to my step-dads tv just to see his reaction. [ROFL]
Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh - I think aspectre is implying he is in prison. Well. that explains a lot....
[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
*snorts*

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.