FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Macs Upgrade

Author Topic: Macs Upgrade
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard a rumour that Macs will finally have 2-buttoned-mice.

True?! It's about time.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Apple is apparently working on a "superior" multi-buttoned mouse. Knowing Apple, it will be a graphic design triumph, but require that people completely rethink the way they use mice in order to function and will provide little actual technical benefit to the user. It may well float on a small cushion of air and have to be operated with fingers crossed.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It may well float on a small cushion of air and have to be operated with fingers crossed.
Priceless!

[ March 25, 2005, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it will be a graphic design triumph
So this is a two-dimensional two-buttoned mouse? Sweet.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that sounds like something Apple would do. It'll be a flat touchpad. And everyone will say, "Oh, look, Apple reinvented the touchpad." And Apple will say, "No, look, it's the iMouse. A superior kind of mouse for superior people." And everyone else will say "No, it's a touchpad." And Apple will say, "Look, we're calling it an iMouse, and it's really pretty, so you have to like it. And it's $99. And we've put in Bluetooth."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
nail

head

hit

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Nazi;

Lead;

Britt.

Happy, MPR?

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You still need work on that context thing, JH.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom's right on one thing, it will (from the reports) be bluetooth.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the USE of bluetooth, anyway?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Short range wireless connectivity. You can walk up to a Bluetooth printer with your notebook and print. You can connect keyboards and mice that way. You can send data to and from BT enabled mobile phones, which also use it for wireless headsets and the like.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Tom's blind hatred for the Mac is ruining his judgement.

*assumes zombie pose*

mmmmmmmmm, iMouse, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, good, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, pretty, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I refrained from commenting about the general negativity toward macs. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
So where do you get printers and other peripherals with bluetooth?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

Here
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

I just realized how close I am to a Landmark.

I think I'll disappear for a while.

TheTick
Member # 2883

HP makes a lot where it's an option. You usually see it more in business than the home realm, for that. You can also get bluetooth adapters that work with most printers. Most consumers see bluetooth in their PDAs and Phones, while businesses may have bluetooth capable printers. The HP site, for one example, shows a lot of devices that can interoperate via Bluetooth.

Of course scott, only the first two items on that page are bluetooth. [Wink]

[ March 25, 2005, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: TheTick ]

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that Bluetooth is much bigger in Asia and Europe than it is here--American developers find that it's over-regulated. Although, if UWB takes off, I imagine the demand for Bluetooth will fade.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.