FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Customer Service Is Dead

Author Topic: Customer Service Is Dead
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a medic ID bracelet for Nathan the end of January. I took it back last week because the "medical insignia" had fallen off - which of course ruined the "waterproof" paper with the medical information inside the bracelet.

The business informs me that if I pay $8.00 S/H, they will send the bracelet back to the company - however, there is no guarantee that the manufacturer will replace it.

Alternatively, I can buy a new bracelet from them and they will engrave it for half-price.

I objected to this on the grounds that it is A) not my problem if their manufacturer stiffs them and B) this was bought two months ago and fell apart and good customer service dictates that they replace it OR refund my money.

Theoretically, the manager will call me tomorrow to discuss this with me. They think it's "too" beat up to replace after only two months . . . DUHHHHH - that's the complaint I brought to them. Nathan's other bracelet (a much flimsier version from a mail-order complany) lasted three years. He just outgrew it . . .

[Mad]

P.S. NO, they were not very courteous - when I bought the thing OR when I brought the broken thing in to be fixed, or on the phone, etc.

[ March 23, 2005, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If they don't replace or refund it, report them to the BBB. That's just wrong.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you buy the bracelet with a credit card?

Sometimes when you have disputes with merchants you can document the dispute and ask your credit card company to recredit your account. I've done this a couple of times with juicers that did not work as advertised. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

With a check - of which I have te carbon and the bank statement showing when it was cashed.

My ex-husband will handle it tomorrow if the manager does not give me satisfaction.

*smiles*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Give'em heck Shan. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Noes! Not teh bettar buisiness beeurao!! Waht will they evar do?!?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

I like the Attorney General's office, meself. [Evil]

And then I usually write a follow-up, very pointed letter describing exactly how vocal I am about both businesses that are fair and provide good customer satisfaction . . . and business that do not . . . and how word-of-mouth can really affect a business.

[Evil Laugh]

However, if my ex is willing to get either a new medic ID for Nathan OR a refund, then that's less stress for me!

Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
good customer service dictates that they replace it OR refund my money.
*squints*

So, what exactly is their warranty/return policy? Maybe you have a link or word for word?

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

A link? *laugh* Sorry - not everyone in the world has a website, and this would be one of the someones.

However, according to local community advertising and the advertising in their very own store - they "value" their reputation as providers of quality jewelry and service since 1951, and satisfaction is guaranteed. The original owner died a few years back, so perhaps the rest of the family doesn't have the same ideals.

*shrugs*

I was raised in the service industry (tourism). The first rule was that the customer was always right. The second rule was that if the customer was wrong, the employee was to refer back to rule number 1.

Obviously, this was not "always" the case - and then the manager or owner worked POLITELY with the customer to come up with a compromise or resolution. But having grown up with the theory that happy customers = return customers, a high value was placed on being cheerful, polite, efficient, and on-top-of things. I.e., if I were the jeweler/employee, it would be my job to find out from the manuafacturer their warranty on the goods I purchase to sell for retail later on - NOT the customer.

Ahhh - times do change, don't they . . . [Roll Eyes]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Customer service IS dead. I just spent like an hour on the phone with AOL trying to cancel a previous subscription I had to them and they kept transferring me all over and I got cut off every time. And everytime they transferred me I got this massively loud tone blaring in my ear.

The bright side was they were extremely nice helpful people, I just despise the technical issues.

I'll probably feel better about it tomorrow, but my head is ringing from those damned tones at the moment.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
That's because you were dealing with AOL.

My mom actually had a very pleasant customer service experience the other day.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Thankfully, it's a problem I'll never have to deal with again (AOL I mean).
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, it's not dead, it's just hibernating. It's trying to withstand the assault of low-wage employees that comes with shrinking profit margins, IMHO.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

The clerk at the grocery store was very polite and friendly, today. That was nice.

Even nicer was the totally spontaneous comments from some of the program directors I work with that they appreciate MY courtesy and willingness to help them.

So, customer service really isn't dead, after all - it's just ailing and hard to be found.

*sniff*

[Wink]

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Much like chivalry. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
See's didn't give me a problem about replacing the chocolate bunny that arrived smashed. Although they can't get it here 'till the day after Easter. But after hearing why, I understand, and they threw in a discount on my next order.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Chivalry is very much alive, it's just concentrated in small pockets, like a resistance movement.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.