FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » CD Protection...Why are they cheating us?

Author Topic: CD Protection...Why are they cheating us?
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a frequent poster on this forum, but I read it almost daily. However, a recent discovery has made me want to know what other people think about this:

Last week I purchased the new Chieftains CD 'Live from Dublin' and noticed a small CD protection sticker on the front. I didn't think much of it when I bought it, nor when I played the CD in my car on the way back to college. However, when I attempted to play this CD on my computer (which is my only source of music in my dorm because I have no CD player besides my laptop) I found that it wouldn't play as normal CDs do. The only way to listen to this CD on my computer is through the CD's Flash Interface Program.

Now I don't know about the rest of the world, but I enjoy 'ripping' the songs to my computer and shuffling them together in a large compilation of artists. However, with the way this CD is formatted, I cannot shuffle these songs.

Am I the only one that feels like this: [Wall Bash] ?

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda makes you want to download the songs, doesn't it? ;/

I agree with your [Wall Bash] .

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, CD protection is largely the result of reactionary stupidity on the part of the record companies. If they were to talk to anyone who understands social informatics, they'd know why their efforts were doomed to failure.

Even if they managed to make circumvention technologically very difficult by working with TCPA, they'll just suffer large economic losses. Not to mention there's too high an incentive to be defect.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wall Bash]

I don't like programs installing themselves on my computer, like my new Leahy CD did.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that really stinks! So you can't even play them on the computer? Eek.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

No I can play it on my computer but only through software that came with the CD. No Winamp or Windows Media Player or Real Player etc.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I can play my CD through Windows Media, but at a greatly reduced quality.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it Windows only software?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Yes.

From an Amazon.com Customer Review:

There is one warning about this CD, and it's not the music - it's with the copy protection. This CD uses the new MediaMax. You can NOT rip this CD to your hard drive. You can copy the tracks to your hard drive, but ONLY as 128kb/s WMA since the WMAs have secure DRM. If you are MAC or iPod user you are out of luck. Hopefully iTunes will carry the album with it's own DRM.

[ March 21, 2005, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: The White Whale ]

Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
If it's MediaMax, take a look here . I remember reading about this last year and laughing heavily.

Basically, they created a copy-protection system that can be defeated by *Pressing the Shift key* [Big Grin]

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for linking to that..I have not bought anything with that software, but if I had I would be pissed.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Ye gods, are they still using that version with the giant hole in it? Surely they will have patched it by now?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Thank you Zamphyr for that link.

quote:
Opponents of DRM worry that CDs with permissive rights management may lead to wider public acceptance of restricted recordings. Once the technology is accepted, the skeptics fear, record companies could tighten the restrictions with each new release until no fair use is permitted, and ultimately they could charge for every time a recording is played. This outcome would not be balance but unilateral producer control.
That's from the bottom of that link. Is this a legitimate concern? Is this a possible future?
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, since you paid the licence for this music, I think you can download it if it's for personal use. I did it with Shakira's CD.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Actually, since you paid the licence for this music, I think you can download it if it's for personal use."

Nope. Not in the United States.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Well, I don't think Anna's in the United States [Wink]

But yes, Tom is right, while it is legal to make personal copies for the purposes of location shifting, backup, and a few other things of things you own, you cannot legally use a copy someone else has made.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah well. Pretty soon CD/DVD's will all be old news anyway. It's all going to Blu-ray.....

[Wink] FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I was just reading up on blue ray...Holy cow!

25-50 GB? [Big Grin] More durable? [Big Grin]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

I predict the adoption of Blu-ray (or its competitor, whichever wins) is slow and mostly among businesses.

There's just little reason for it, at least right now. The existence of CDs wasn't put in any danger by DVDs, DVDs just took over a niche CDs couldn't fill. DVDs fill their current niche just fine, until something changes in the movie and television industry that changes that (a large enough move to HDTV would work), movies and TV shows will come out on DVD.

Blu-Ray does offer optical storage at a capacity much beyond DVD, which is where people will use it: for backup.

edit: and the storage of raw video data. However, very few people in the home use even DVDs for either of those, so don't expect them to suddenly start using Blu-Ray.

[ March 22, 2005, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.