FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Vernal Eggquinox

Author Topic: The Vernal Eggquinox
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Vernal Equinox!

To dispel the naysayers, I have photographic evidence forthcoming that an egg will balance on end on the equinox. Speculate all you like, but tomorrow I shall upload the proof and then you can scoff no more!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to do that. It did not work.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Should I show her the picture of an egg balancing on its end which was taken on New Year's eve?

[ March 20, 2005, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Glenn Arnold ]

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
And ruin all my fun? [Frown]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh! Oooh! I know how!
[Big Grin]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, it's easy. Just make sure you use a rabbit egg.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
We used a chicken egg in the German class I was a TA for. We got it to stand on end just fine, and it wasn't even the equinox. Of course we stood it up on the fat end and that had a small bump on the shell to help out [Big Grin] .
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
An egg can be balanced on its end on the Vernal Equinox. An egg can be balanced on its end on any day of the entire year, so it's hardly a surprise that the Equinox isn't an exception.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
That would be "eggception." [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I've stood eggs on their ends on the equinox. My understanding is that you can do that any time of year. Except maybe on Easter... I dunno. [Razz]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a pic of me just now trying to get my seventh egg to stand. I gave up on that one.

Eh, so I was bored.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
You got a lot to balance! Wow. [Smile]

I did not balance eggs today, but rather luxuriated in the sun. While hiking around Black Earth together, Dave and I saw a happy little spider on the snow and the fresh buds against the bluest sky.

Glorious Spring! Happy Vernal Equinox, everyone. [Smile]

[ March 21, 2005, 03:41 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Place a hard-boiled egg on a table,
And spin it as fast as you're able;
It will stand on one end
With vectorial blend
Of precession and spin that's quite stable

Or ya can pull the ol' bar bet. Open then palm a packet of sugar or salt. Make the claim.
Gather your hands around the egg as if you are stabilizing it. What you're really doing is concealing the very small pile of salt/sugar that you're pouring.
Plant the egg in the pile so it's standing. Move your hands away slightly as if you're keeping them there to catch the egg if it tilts.
Then with your hands still surrounding the egg, still concealing the pile, lift your hands very slightly off the table.
Gently blow under them. Just hard enough to blow away the salt/sugar from base of the egg.
The weight of the egg will keep a few of the grains of salt/sugar from blowing away.
And in turn, the leftover grains will act as props to hold the egg upright as you move your hand away.

[ March 21, 2005, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Or...

Hard boil the egg, and crunch the end of the shell so it standds up.

[Wink]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.