FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Donnie Darko director's cut

Author Topic: Donnie Darko director's cut
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm watching the Donnie Darko director's cut right now and it's all Brits in the "fans speak" type section in the bonus disk. Which would be fine of course, who cares? BUT-
They were asked why they thought the film didn't do as well in America and most of them said something to this effect:

Well it was so in-depth and americans can't handle the in-depth movies-in the UK we're more intelligent and like deep films and aren't spoon fed movies with the traditional beginning middle end structure-basically, Americans are stupid!

[No No]

Man, I'm insulted.
I'm changing my mind about moving to England! I thought it was all going to be silly walks, smegheads having fun and dead parrots! [Big Grin]

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
There are stupid people everywhere; England, included!

[ March 18, 2005, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see it when it was out in the Theaters because 9/11 had happened oh...VERY SHORTLY before the release.

Wasn't in the mood for "dark" movies for a long time after that.

Loved the DVD release when I saw it later though.

Is the director's cut just the deleted scenes from that earlier disc edited in?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well it was so in-depth and americans can't handle the in-depth movies-in the UK we're more intelligent and like deep films and aren't spoon fed movies with the traditional beginning middle end structure-basically, Americans are stupid!
Yeah, that part really got me too while watching that. Especially because the rest of the feature was so cool. The conversations with Richard Kelly, and the premiere party at the bar, and lots of the people interviewed that DIDN'T feel the need to explain how stupid Americans were.

The #1 Fan: A Darkomentary is the weirdest and funniest thing i've seen in a long time.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Puffy Treat, I wrote a fairly detailed rundown of the differences in the Directors Cut here.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.