FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sunday Reading-- Wizard Gizzard

Author Topic: Sunday Reading-- Wizard Gizzard
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an excerpt from a short story I'm tinkering with.

Enjoy! Or not.

quote:
"A recent loophole has been uncovered in section 532 C of the Code of Eternal Law."

I had three semesters of theosophical law under my belt. "I'm not a jinn, or a pixie, or a minor deity. I can't be bound like that."

"That's where the loophole comes in. The Counsel for Disestablishmentarianism argued that since Man was the creation of God, in His own express image, and since Man in numerous theologies affords himself of the title 'Child of God,' they are, in fact, a race of lesser gods."

"Oh," I said, a bit stunned.

"And as such, they may be bound into service, like jinn, pixies, leprechauns, etc., under certain special conditions."

"What conditions?"

He looked at me pityingly. It's a terrible thing, the pity of angels. "It would take more than forty days to lay out all the conditions. Suffice it to say, when you stole from Asmodean, you met several of them."

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I really like that excerpt, Scott. It's kinda Terry Pratchettesque. It's good.
Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
...so when do we get to read the rest of it? Or are you just planning to tantilize us with this tidbit until we do your bidding?

[Mad] [Wink]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome snippet.

Did you mean Counsel or Council? Does Disestablishmentarianism have its own lawyer? [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess Scott R as the author. My reasoning is that Scott R is a very respectable person with much honesty and integrity, and would be unlikely to "tinker" with something that wasn't his. No, that's not an onanism reference.

What do you mean, "wrong thread"?

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Papa Moose
Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

rivka-- CounSEl, as in Dagonee.

[Smile]

Alas, I'm stuck on this short story. It's becoming a monster. This is common with my short fiction-- I start out planning ~5000 words, and they mostly wind up weighing 15000 +.

Not good. I need to be less wordy.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
So Disestablishmentarianism does have its own lawyer? Isn't that rather antidisestablishmentarianist?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, it's a good snippet. Good enough, in fact, that I'd love it if I had come up with it first. Or possibly to steal some ideas that occur to me after reading it . . . [Big Grin]

Yes, please continue. Make it into a novel if you like - I'm sure I would like!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Rivka-- that all depends on the Establishment one is trying to dis.

Yo.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.