Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Robots

Author Topic: Robots
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't find a specific discussion on the movie, so uhh, thought I'd start one. I thought it was awesome. Thought the story seemed a little predictable and hollow to me, the humor in the movie almost made me fall out of the chair. Of course, there's the typical juvenile humor, but they did it so creatively that I couldn't keep myself from laughing til I cried. I don't think they missed a single opportunity to make fun of the fact that this is a story about robots. In particular, I thought it was brilliant for them to have robots...doing the robot.

[ March 12, 2005, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: Boris ]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm planning on taking my kids to see this today. Doesn't hurt that the SW3 trailer is supposed to be on it! LOL
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to pass. I used to desperately defend any non-disney animation, but the trend toward having a lot of headliner actors do the voices annoys me, and I hear the humor is really low-brow, that it is barely rated PG.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it earlier today. The Star Wars trailer was a nice bonus, but the one i was really looking for was Ice Age 2. It wasn't as good as the first Ice Age trailer, but it was still hilarious. Who doesn't like Scrat?

Robots was really funny though, and I don't care about the headline names. Robin Williams made half of it funny, the other half was the good writing. I enjoyed it though, and the kids in the theater seemed to think it was really funny.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
On Topic- I need to go see it. Maybe tomorrow.....

Off Topic- Does anyone know of a movie that will have the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trailer on it? [Dont Know]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Apple Trailers has all three of them.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
It's called a SPOILER tag. Use them, they're good, they're our friends.

[ March 12, 2005, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: beatnix19 ]

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I mean like a preview before a movie. Not an online trailer. Though I do need to look into those also.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Robots today and enjoyed it. It wasn't hilarious, but it was funny. I will agree that the Star Wars trailer made the experience better - being in a huge theatre with many screaming small children isn't the ideal movie experience.

But it was good. I actually enjoyed hearing the differnt headliner voices. Halle Berry was surprisingly not bad, and Mel Brooks was funny as usual. The SW trailer was especially funny as the voices of both Obi-Wan and Vader appear in the movie. And while I'm thinking of it, Ewan McGregor is better at a Southern-US accent instead of a more Northern one.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
The story sounds nice, and the animation sounds good, too. I was a little put off by the critics saying it was very "busy". Is it nauseatingly busy?
Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
By busy, I think they mean that the jokes and action go so fast that you miss a LOT of it. I know there were a few that went by so fast I didn't realize what had happened until about five seconds later.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

There is a lot to look at visually, but I thought it wasn't too much.

It was very fast paced at parts, but I caught everything (with the help of my friend who kept repeating lines to me).

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I took my son and his best friend last night. The arm fart episode got the most laughs. It was good, not as good as I was expecting it to be, though.
(My son's best friend had to go to the doctor one time because he had developed a serious rash under arms from doing too many armfarts.)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.