FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » favorite non Shakespearean play? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: favorite non Shakespearean play?
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, it's Edward Albee's Whose Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
A Long Day's Journey into Night or A Streetcar Named Desire
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
The Crucible
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myr
Member # 5956

- posted      Profile for Myr   Email Myr         Edit/Delete Post 
"Play" by Samuel Beckett. Specially the PBS (I think?) version with Alan Rickman.

"Waiting for Godot" and "Red Noses" are also two current obsessions.

Posts: 105 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've never actually seen a play performed in a theater, but I do enjoy reading them. I've recently discovered David Mammet's plays after seeing god knows how many of his films. He's quite the talent.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.
I'll echo Scott R on this one.

quote:
"Red Noses"
Ooh, just saw this one a couple weeks ago at the Gamm Theater in Pawtucket. I know the guy who plays Bells -- I'm taking a clown class from him.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Lion in Winter

And that's not just because I was in it. [Wink] I loved the version with Katie Hepburn and Peter O'Toole (with Anthony Hopkins), and I love the version with Patrick Stewart and Glenn Close. It's just a dang good play.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get to see many plays, but last year I saw Kipling's "Man Who Would Be King", and it was excellent.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, and I just thought of a couple more. See How They Run by someone I don't remember and You Can't Take it With You by the same. [Wink] Those two plays had me laughing so hard that I was in pain, with tears in my eyes the whole time. Both of them are a blast!!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew
Member # 7502

- posted      Profile for Andrew   Email Andrew         Edit/Delete Post 
Do musicals count?

If so, then probably Miss Saigon or Phantom of the Opera, though next...Tuesday, I believe, those will almost definately be beaten out by Spamalot, which I get to see then.

Spam spam spam, spam spam spam spam spam. Spam spam.

Posts: 67 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be unoriginal:

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I was Guildenst. . . oh shoot. I always forget. Was I?

I hate boats, anyway.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Into the Woods? Fiddler on the Roof? I can't choose!
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't pick just one. But, if memory serves You Can't Take It With You is the oly one I ever walked out on at intermission because it was so bad.

(That is, I remember walking out of one, around the same time that I remember seeing that one, and I think that's the one I left, but it might have been some other one instead.)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Though I should have walked out of "Waiting for Godot." I think the only reason I didn't was because I was an English major, and seeing that play is a rite of initiation for English majors.

I do wish I could have those two hours back, though.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Cyrano de Bergerac.

Favorite play, period.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fond of "Noises Off." Although, I can't think of a whole lot of plays that I've seen. Unless we're counting musicals.
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard Noises Off is awesome funny, and they even made a movie with John Ritter. I meant to put it on my must-see list.

My favorite show that I've seen is Avenue Q. I've listened to Phantom, Wicked, Into the Woods, Scarlet Pimpernel, and Jekyll and Hyde but I've never seen the actual shows, as much as I love the music. Family by Eric Samuelson that is currently being done at BYU is becoming one of my favorite straight plays.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite that I've read - "Angels in America"

Favorite that I've seen - bah! I can't remember the name of it! It's the one about Matthew Shepherd, and it involves many different roles being played by the same actors.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
Does opera count? If so then "Madame Butterfly" by Puchini (sp?). If not then 'Proof' by David Auburn. It's based on the same story as the movie "A Beautiful Mind" but differs in severa important ways that make it better IMO. A close second would be a production of Poe's "The Tell-tale Heart."
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'd say mine, but it certainly wouldn't be bringing anything original into this thread.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myr
Member # 5956

Mike - I saw it there too! Bells was my favorite character going IN to the play -- just having read it -- and well, after his performance, he was *quadrupally* my favorite. That man is quite talented! (The guy who directed the play and played Flote is a professor of mine [Smile] )
Posts: 105 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myr
Member # 5956

Icky - I can't imagine a live performance doing Godot justice [Smile] I've only seen the Beckett On Film version, and it was perfectly carried out!
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
It's much easier to say which Broadway musicals DON'T classify as favorites, rather than do... they're fewer... [Wink]

I'm not crazy about the Sound of Music or the Music Man. I love pretty much all the others.

But non-musical play, I would have to say The Importance of Being Earnest, by Oscar Wilde. [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I had never heard of Noises Off until about 6 weeks ago. My father bought the movie and showed it to me, and in the time since, I've seen it referenced a good half dozen times. What a weird sense of synchronicity or something.

I would love to direct Noises Off, though I doubt my theatre company would want to stage anything so elaborate that was not a musical. It would lose money. :-\

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
R&G are Dead, The Importance of Being Earnest.

Want to see Avenue Q (already know the soundtrack [Smile] ) and the Discworld plays.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I have scripts for three of the Discworld plays. If Hatrack were less spread out geographically we could do a production!
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Myr,

quote:
Bells was my favorite character going IN to the play -- just having read it -- and well, after his performance, he was *quadrupally* my favorite. That man is quite talented!
He is indeed. I'll tell him he has a fan. [Smile]

I've seen the guy who played Flote before, too -- he played Brick in that play by Tenessee Williams.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
You know, I've never actually seen a play performed in a theater
Wow.

Um, you should see one! Most are great! [Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I love W;t. It touches a very personal chord with me.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Phantom of the Opera
OR
Fiddler on the Roof

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie Get Your Gun
or
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
or
something down-home-country like that

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myr
Member # 5956

Aww, musicals shouldn't count. They're a totally different category! (btw I have a very soft spot for Les Mis)
Icarus
Member # 3162

Ug.

Myr, you and I are just total opposites when it comes to shows, ain't we?

Teshi
Member # 5024

What's wrong with Les Miz?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
If musicals count, we could be here a long time . . . On the assumption that they do not, I'll say Jake's Women.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Vinegar Tom by Caryl Churchill was pretty thought-provoking. And I really like The Importance of Being Earnest too. Funny though, I've never seen either live. I tend to act in plays more than watch them I guess... And I won't get into musicals except to mention that Ragtime is easily the best one ever, since no one's brought it up yet. Has anyone else even seen it? I don't think it was ever a big hit.
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Other than sucky maudlin songs and a sucky maudlin story, absolutely nothing.
Teshi
Member # 5024

[ROFL] [Cry]
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
The Crucible is teh awesome. Seeing William Hutt in A Long Day's Journey into Night was pretty awesome. Seeing William Hutt in *anything* is awesome. Since nobody has mentioned any Chekhov, I'm going to have to give the nod to The Cherry Orchard. The episode of The Family Guy I watched last night was taking pot shots at Uncle Vanya so he's on my mind [Wink]
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Euripedes' Medea, Mort, and last year's FASS production at my school.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
You saw FASS!? Crazy! I was the choreographer last year... Hmm. Waaaaait a second. You're not in Classics, are you? Just going from the Latin name and all. 'Cause I'm in Classics, and if you're in Classics, I'm pretty sure we know each other and that would be...odd. Good! But odd...

Did you see FASS this year? Or the year before last? Or have you seen any other KWLT besides Mort?

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
Angels in America kind of gets Mormonism wrong (though I think Kushner's on the right track about its spirit and that of America) and it's shrill about its politics, but I really like its grandeur and sense of cosmology.

Along the same lines, Equus.

The Glass Menagerie for its simplicity, tenderness, and fragility.

[ March 12, 2005, 05:21 AM: Message edited by: MattB ]

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What's wrong with Les Miz?
Well, for a start, it's Les Mis (short for Miserables)... [Wink]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite would have to be Seascape with Sharks and Dancer by Don Nigro. I've never seen the show performed outside of the classroom, but it's an incredible play.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Chekhov's The Seagull. I student-directed a production once. So it's kind of a matter of which one I know the best.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myr
Member # 5956

Guess so Icky [Big Grin]
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
The Guthrie Theater’s production of The Play’s the Thing, translated by PG Wodehouse.

Maybe. That’s the one that popped to mind first, but I don’t think there’s been a year in the last 15 that I haven’t seen at least ten plays, and the majority of them are excellent. (Most of the rest are mediocre, and, of course, a few are either laughably bad or coma-inducing boring.) Worst play ever – Home.

Idea for a script that sounds great at first but anyone with half a brain should have figured out was a bad idea long before it got to rehearsal – A one-man show based on four essays(!) of CS Lewis. I mean, I love Lewis, but his essays are some dense prose. I think at one point ElJay and I were the only two people in the auditorium that weren’t asleep, and that’s only because we were keeping awake by counting all the other people sleeping.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
With so many many different themes and styles of plays, picking a favorite would be like comparing oranges and Apple computers.

However, the stage and film treatments of The Piano Lesson deserve special mention.
As does Fosse's Cabaret for musicals.
And the Burton&Taylor performance in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

[ March 12, 2005, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.