FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is this a good sign?

Author Topic: Is this a good sign?
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I went out on a date with a pretty cool girl last week. We had fun, I was ready to ask her out on a second date (please note "Is dating always this painful" thread). I've been trying to get ahold of her for a couple days, but she's a homework-aholic and is rarely home. Anyway, she called me about 30 minutes ago and asked me to join a group she has going down to the temple tomorrow morning at 5am. Now, I'm normally not even close to conciousness at that time of day, but I thought being able to go to the temple with this girl (as well as some of her friends) would be worth waking up early for. But anyway, is this a good sign? Or am I reading too much into it? Cause I'm really excited and happy about this.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm...she asked you to do womething woth her......

Nope, sounds like a bad idea.

Could be a trap.

Don't fall for it, it is MUCH better to pine about "what might have been if I didn't fall asleep on her in temple" than to live with the reality of it.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say a good thing, but she mentioned temple - which could mean this is just a glorified recruiting pitch.

On the bright side, it could be fun and she is cute. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I would dive through the door face first and begins firing my pistols rapidly at anything that moved. Provided I had enough Bullet Time, of course.

But, seriously... it could go either way. She might be trying to keep things platonic, but, you know, having thought about, I just don't think that's likely. Sure. It's a good thing.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The last time a girl asked me to accompany her to a temple, a blood-stained altar was involved. It was awkward.

If this isn't that sort of temple, though, the worst you have to put up with is the equivalent of one of those time-share sales pitches.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Boris is already LDS, guys. So it's not a recruitment thing.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, Sophia is going to stumble upon an artifact from your Goth days, and Christy is just going to leave the room, chuckling and shaking her head.

[ March 10, 2005, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I think Boris is already LDS, guys. So it's not a recruitment thing.

Hm. In that case, my understanding is that LDS temples are kind of like Thunderdome: one man and one woman enter, and one eternally-bonded couple leaves.

It might be safe to accept the invitation as long as, once you're inside the building, you remember to say "no" to anything anyone asks you. Unless they get tricky and say things like "Boris Whatsyername, do you not agree to take Whoserface...."

In other good-sign related news, a cat with two faces was born the other day.

[ March 10, 2005, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

Yes, I am LDS, and we're going with a group of her friends (And other people I imagine).

edit: This is the first time anyone has ever asked me to go with them to the temple (This isn't a marriage thing), let alone a girl I've known only because she's in one of my classes and because I have been on a date with her.

[ March 11, 2005, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Boris ]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] @ Tom
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds pretty good to me, Boris, but then again, you're among the Rexbourgeois, so who knows what convoluted social rules are being emplyed? [Wink]

No, honestly, go, and be your fun, witty, confident self.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Boris, relax and enjoy yourself. Yes, it's a good thing. Speaking from the female point of view, I would never invite a guy to the temple (or anywhere else for that matter) if I didn't already enjoy his company. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
5am? Man, you must really like this girl.

lol...if someone asked me to get up that early, I would just laugh.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing as you're both LDS, I'd say it's a good thing. (And seeing as it's 7:30 now, my insight is hopelessly out of date.)

She's probably interested in you, and like a lot of good LDS girls, wants to know what you're like in spiritual situations before she invests too much time and emotion in you. After all, if things go well you might end up being the primary priesthood holder in her life. [Wink]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
So...how was it? Update!!!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
What, exactly, is going on at the temple at 5 am anyway?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Wouldn't you like to know! <sinister laugh>
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, maybe it's like Scoobidoo : the movie, when someone tell Scoobidoo to search hamburgers in the middle of the dark forest, where no one could hear him scream...
*hides her head under her arms*
*well, not really, the students would wonder what is happening, but you see my point*

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She's probably interested in you, and like a lot of good LDS girls, wants to know what you're like in spiritual situations before she invests too much time and emotion in you.
I'm curious what kinds of things a guy could do in spiritual situations that would turn the typical good LDS girl off. Armpit farting sounds? Wearing X-Ray specs and making comments about people's underwear? Singing joke lyric versions of the hymns?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

A surprising number of young LDS males go to church because they have to. (Probably isn't limited to LDS, but I can only vouch for my own experience). When someone is somewhere they don't want to be, it's pretty obvious most of the time. Also, if he goes and spends the time schmoozing her instead of engaging himself in the task at hand, that says something too. Whether that says something she will think is good or bad depends on what type of girl she is.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. That makes sense.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

Hooo. Wow. My mind played an evil trick on me. And gave me another reason to hate phones. Turns out it WASN'T the girl I went out with who invited me. It was our ward Temple trip coordinator. Somehow, when she introduced herself (if she introduced herself...) I could have sworn I heard "Leslie." I got my wake up call this morning and it was Micah. ACK! Stupid stupid Boris. Got my hopes up for nothing [Razz] Oh well. The temple was still enjoyable. Even though I'm going to be dead tired all day now.
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
The Lord works in mysterious ways. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Sorry, Boris. I hope that will work with the girl though [Wink]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

Me too. But as a result of my thinking it was her who invited me, I didn't get a chance to ask her out for tonight. So, yeah. I've got two tickets for a play and I don't know if I'll be able to get a date for it [Frown] Ah well. I'll see if I can get ahold of her around lunch time, apologize for giving her such short notice and ask if she wants to go see a play. If she's not able to...well, I'll figure it out [Smile]
Anna
Member # 2582

If you feel like she's the kind of girl who can understand such things, explain the misunderstanding. I sure would find it uber-cute that a boy went up so early to go to church with me (If I went to church, which is not the case, but... Ah, well).
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
If Leslie's not game, ask that Temple trip coordinator. It sounds like she's got the Mormon hots for you.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally hate temple "dates" - you don't get to talk to each other, it's too solemn to joke and I like funny, you can't talk about the shared experience once you're out, and going on a first or second date to a place where people get married just feels like way too much pressure.

I get squishy for church geekiness, but going to the temple is too easy. Short of blatant disrepectful behavior, everyone acts spiritual there.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.