FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone remember my issue with driving to school yesterday morning?

Author Topic: Anyone remember my issue with driving to school yesterday morning?
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the professors at UNH died in a car accident on the way to the school

[Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

She wasn't one of my profs. But that just...bites.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear...

I'm glad you stayed home. Did you get a response from your professor to your e-mail?

[ March 10, 2005, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
That's so awful. [Frown]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] I wonder if this will cause them to reevaluate their closure policy.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
You notice how in the article, the college reps quoted never said, "yeah, we're sorry we decided to have school yesterday while none of the other area schools did. If we had cancelled classes, maybe this wouldn't have happened" [Mad]

FG

edit: (mothertree ALWAYS beats me to it)

[ March 10, 2005, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
The college mentions basically nothing about the non-cancellation on their own news writeup.

I'm just in disbelief.

And no, the prof never emailed me back.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, mack.

That's terrible. I can't believe they didn't close the school. [Frown]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

I am *so* glad that you stayed home.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I really do think a large part of the decision in not closing the school was because spring break is next week. [Frown]
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn.

My school (Oswego State University) basically has no closure policy. Since it snows just about every single winter day (average of 150 inches a year), its hard to determine which snowy days to cancel for.

Plus they had a policy of not caring about their commuters. So many cars got stuck in the parking lots and side streets one morning that they closed school at like 10AM one time. So we all had to get our cars unstuck and drive home in the snow. If they had just closed it at 6AM when we already had 1.5 feet [Roll Eyes] .

Shame on them for not taking the blame.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Glad you are safe. [Frown]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
That is so sad!

My friend teaches a class at UMass as part of her doctorate program. A few weeks ago, there was a big storm, and she called to see if UMass was cancelled. Her supervisor gave her all kinds of crap, and said, "I'm sorry you choose to live so far away, but those who live nearby will not have a problem."

During the entire class, parents were calling the students on their cell phones, telling them to leave class because the roads were so horrible. Parents who, um, live nearby.

Grrr.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
She was so young. [Frown]

Mack, I'm glad you trusted your instincts and did not go in yesterday. I think it's very sad that things like being afraid of missing work make us willing to risk our lives sometimes.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myr
Member # 5956

- posted      Profile for Myr   Email Myr         Edit/Delete Post 
[Mad]
Posts: 105 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. One of my neighbors just came by collecting for the memorial for my next door neighbor. I'm totally at a loss, I haven't experienced much death before, never very close. [Frown]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very sad. Her poor daughter.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.